Will GT500 trans and clutch fit 03

beabout

Established Member
I understand that the GT500 transmission is not the T56 but a new design T6060 and the clutch is a dual disk setup.... Is this true? Will it fit in our cars? :shrug:

Charles236

Established Member
I'm sure that the bellhousing will bolt up, but the clutch linkage is hydraulic, so that would necessitate some changes to install a clutch master cylinder and resevior. Also, the mounting point for the transmission mount might be the same, but the shift linkage is different because of the shifter location in the S-197 Mustang platform. So, the short answer is, not without some fabrication.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Are you asking out of curiousity or are you thinking of going that route? I would rather have a viper spec'd one from D&D myself.

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
yes the shelby's do shift WAY easier. I can powershift it without a problem and my 03 gave me nothing but problems. I wish it bolted right into an 03 but it seems that everything is different.

beabout

Established Member
03yllwguy said:
Are you asking out of curiousity or are you thinking of going that route? I would rather have a viper spec'd one from D&D myself.

Well, actually, yes... When the clutch goes or anything similar in the transmission/drive train I intend to do some upgrading... production clutch and transmission for the GT500 seems to have had more development time than the 2003 Cobra had if Frank Moriarty's book IRON FIST, LEAD FOOT is close to accurate. Although I do like the Cobra I have, the book really put me back on how much trouble and short development time was available for the driveline... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Buy an Exedy twin plate. All clutch problems solved. Couple that with a 26 spline input shaft and your trans will be bulletproof. While the new trans is undoubted better, It sounds like it a major pain to run in a Cobra. Remember the shifter is in a completely different place on the s197 cars, and it is a hydraulic setup.

Last edited:

frankin

Established Member
Mach1chuck said:
I'm sure that the bellhousing will bolt up, but the clutch linkage is hydraulic, so that would necessitate some changes to install a clutch master cylinder and resevior. Also, the mounting point for the transmission mount might be the same, but the shift linkage is different because of the shifter location in the S-197 Mustang platform. So, the short answer is, not without some fabrication.

The clutch linkage is hydraulic? I guess the GT500 drivers won't get big leg muscles like the Terminator drivers. ha..ha...

Users who are viewing this thread