Will I need a tune if....?

eddieveddie85

Established Member
I get an airaid intake and leave the the insert in, and put a axleback on like a comp magnaflow? Yea I know I won't see anywhere the HP gains as I would with one, I mean it will make a little more power I'm sure with these mods right...

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Most cars will not need a tune as the insert reduces the intake tube diameter down to stock size so the MAF transfer remains the same. Once you remove the insert, you will need a tune for sure.

scott_0

Established Member
with the insert in its advertised and designed as a no tune intake

Airaid Filters

Established Member
I get an airaid intake and leave the the insert in, and put a axleback on like a comp magnaflow? Yea I know I won't see anywhere the HP gains as I would with one, I mean it will make a little more power I'm sure with these mods right...

Hello eddieveddie85,

You absolutely want to leave the insert In and it will not require any tuning. There is NO advantage to removing the insert unless the car is highly modified ( Cylinder heads, Camshaft, Rear End Gears, or Forced Induction) and constitutes a complete custom tune.

When you are only using basic Bolt-ons, such as Headers, or cat-back exhaust, you always want to leave the insert in.

Running basic bolt-ons and using a "Canned" Tune does not mean you remove the insert. a "Canned" Tune is not a "Custom" tune. they are two different things.

Thanks,
David

eddieveddie85

Established Member
Thank you for the info David, It just had me wondering since I had seen some intakes labeled " Tune Required". I just want to mod as much as I can without voiding my warranty.

Another question this might be a dumb one but a "after cat" x-pipe doesn't require any tuning either does it since the cats and resonators stay intact? I just like the sound of an x pipe better.

drewzx3

Established Member
Thank you for the info David, It just had me wondering since I had seen some intakes labeled " Tune Required". I just want to mod as much as I can without voiding my warranty.

Another question this might be a dumb one but a "after cat" x-pipe doesn't require any tuning either does it since the cats and resonators stay intact? I just like the sound of an x pipe better.

I'm running the airaid with insert and stainless works catback with no tune. U can run an Aft cat x and not need a tune

ViciousJay

Established Member
I have a JLT intake and I've debated about going back stock because I've learned over the years that snorkel fit systems truly breathe as well if not better then aftermarket systems. On this car I'm not sure it will help but every little counts

Users who are viewing this thread