will lowering affect pinion angle?

rsilver

Established Member
hi, I recently lowered my car a bit, cut 1/2 coil out of coupe springs for my vert. It lowered the car about 3/4 inch all the way around. I have the MM solid bushing kit. Before the car was lowered it still had a little vibe, but not bad. Now I have a pretty bad vibe at several different speeds. I am going to re check the balance on the tires but it seems lowering the car with a solid mount diff would change the pinion angle. Does anyone know? Thanks very much...........bob

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
With an IRS equipped car; no.

Unless you moved the transmission mount or the pinion bushings have been moved/replaced/reshimmed you pinion angle won't change no matter what you do to the ride height on an IRS car.

The suspension "compressed" when you lowered the car. The trans and IRS cradle is all tied to the body and none of which moves with the suspension.

rsilver

Established Member
mblgr, thanks for the insight. I just want to make sure I understand this. If i shimmed up the diff to match the trans/drive shaft with the MM kit with stock ride height, then lowering the car should not change the angle correct? Its obvious I don't understand this well and its been about 2 years and I forgot what I learned on reasearching this, so just want to make sure. Thanks for making this clear. I need to road force re balance the tires, a lot of this vibe is coming from the front and through the steering wheel.

BTW is it hard to change the readjust the angle if for some reason I need to?

thanks again.............bob

Last edited:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Bob, to restate and to clarify, you won't affect the driveshaft-to-pinion angle at all by lowering the car. This angle is set purely by the front and rear differential case bushings.

Definitely ensure you get your tires properly balanced before making any part of the suspension or driveline the main suspect of vibration.

Last edited:

rsilver

Established Member
got the road force balance. took care of the problem. Smooth as can be.
Must have knocked a tire out of balance on the way to the shop right before we lowered it.... or something. Anyway your comments are appreciated and very very helpful.....thanks bob

Users who are viewing this thread