Will mobil 1 5w20 void warrenty

wally9404

Established Member
i have been running 5w 20 which is a synthectic oil.the builder of my engine reccomeded it. have been useing it about 8 months. 565 rwhp 711 rwtq. ford motorcraft.

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Motorcraft is a synblend.

Yes, you can use Mobi1 0w20, 0w30, 10w30, or any mfr's products in those weights. There is no way an oil analysis would prove conclusive, since all mineral oils thicken over time because of volatility - the lighter molecules boil off. In synoils, the molecules are the same size (monomolecular) and volatility is reduced. But there is so much overlap that you will not have any trouble. Frankling, I would not myself use a 5w20 mineral oil in high temps in that car - I used 0w30 in mine.

I would not recommend very thick oils like 15w50 either - the whoile point of low volatility oils is to get into the close tolerance areas of the engine - I would go 10w30 in the summer, 5w30 in the winter.

And remember, the 5w20 recommendation was based on emissions and fuel economy. I proved that last year, as some of you old timers may remember. I was a tribologist for ten years, and would not use a 20weight in my cars.

Ford also does not recommend synoils because of the EPA.

Here is the smoking gun I uncovered: read it and understand the truth.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/ccd0112.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread