Will mobil 1 5w20 void warrenty

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Why would it?
I dont know that is why i asked:shrug: how about 5w30? im going to have my tick checked and if it needs the swap i dont want any warrenty issues.

eddiemel30

Established Member
a buddy of mine been running mobil1 15w/50 ever since he bought the car.and you know what he has never had a problem with his eng.no tick no nothing that is the quitest dohc eng i ever heard.not saying iam going to do that. he also runs his own performance so if anything goes wrong he can always fix it.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by kaboom
I dont know that is why i asked:shrug: how about 5w30? im going to have my tick checked and if it needs the swap i dont want any warrenty issues.
As long as it's 5w20 there's nothing they can say. I remember we had to send in an oil sample on a customers car once because he was complaining of high oil consumption. I guess it was OK since Ford didn't say anything. I don't know if they can tell what weight you're running, but as long as you have 5w20 you should be fine.

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
As long as it's 5w20 there's nothing they can say. I remember we had to send in an oil sample on a customers car once because he was complaining of high oil consumption. I guess it was OK since Ford didn't say anything. I don't know if they can tell what weight you're running, but as long as you have 5w20 you should be fine.
Btw what if i have the k&n oil filter on there

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member

I wouldnt have the CAI oiled filter. SVT warned me over the phone that there could be issues due to oil contamination on MAS.

So if you had anything that could be related to how the engine is running they might use that as a starting point and replace and might be on you to pay. Im not saying it will but very easy could be when your trying to fig out a problem for the customer you have to start somewhere.

Oil filter shouldnt mater but I know certain dealer will make note of things on you record. Then problems happen when you have to prove thats not why the engine failed. Oil filter will be the last I would worry but good point.

Last edited:

nugen

Established Member
WTF? My dealer told me I could do the work myself and maintain the warranty as long a sI had receipts for the oil and filters. Who is saying you can only use MC parts? That is some stupid shit!!!

jimwood

Established Member

I agree with Cobra10thaniv.

I was told by the dealer service supervisor, NOT to put a KN airfilter on the car. He stated it seeds incorrectly, doesnt fit, and can cause the MAF to go bad, which then causes a whole host of problems. :??:

He continued on and stated eventually it could cause the cats to clog.:nonono:

Moral, some Ford dealers may look to void a whole helluva a lot with that filter.:shrug:

Last edited:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
wait. . .are we talking about the oil filter or air filter or both?

Putting an air filter on your car will not void your warranty. If you have a dealer that will honestly look you in the face and say that a K&N air filter can hurt your car and it will void the warranty, GET AS FAR AWAY FROM THAT DEALER AS YOU CAN. I can't beleive some dealers are that strict.

Yes, changing your oil to mobil 1 can void the warranty, I don't know why though. It is very stupid. But I was talking to a friend that is a mechanic at ford and he said a couple times Ford has asked them to take an oil sample before doing warranty work on the engine.

I still put 5w30 full syn mobil 1 in my car though. I didn't notice any difference in the sound though, the engine clicks/ect didn't get any quiter with the full syn. But I am glad its in there.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
wait. . .are we talking about the oil filter or air filter or both?

Putting an air filter on your car will not void your warranty. If you have a dealer that will honestly look you in the face and say that a K&N air filter can hurt your car and it will void the warranty, GET AS FAR AWAY FROM THAT DEALER AS YOU CAN. I can't beleive some dealers are that strict.

Yes, changing your oil to mobil 1 can void the warranty, I don't know why though. It is very stupid. But I was talking to a friend that is a mechanic at ford and he said a couple times Ford has asked them to take an oil sample before doing warranty work on the engine.

I still put 5w30 full syn mobil 1 in my car though. I didn't notice any difference in the sound though, the engine clicks/ect didn't get any quiter with the full syn. But I am glad its in there.

KevinJKD as far as the oiled CAI svt hot line told me they could raise a issue if there were problems kept it generic at that time just said to stay away from the oiled ones because they will go after MAS for problems and anything else and will be your expense.

The guy I talked to agreed that the oil problems are from people over oiling. But who wants to get problems over something simple. If they take note in your records on the oasis of it and later try to use this why you have problems is because of the oiled filter.

Look at my stupid cr-p with Octane booster! tell me that isn’t more far fetched than a CAI. I never even used the worthless product anyhow. I did get a call from Ford corp office though in response to the registered letter to Ford & Colleti.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I didn't think Mobil 1 had 5w20......
I didn't think so either, I just assumed he meant 5w30.

cobra10thaniv - I definately agree with you, if something this simple could void your warranty why push the envelope you know? But I just like to change my own oil, plus, I just wanted the peace of mind knowing I had full syn in the car to protect it. The stock 5w20 syn blend oil is pretty thin.

I just wish some dealers/Ford weren't so strict. I can understand things like the pulley/chip, but air filters (non oiled) engine oil, throttle bodies, headers/exhuast. . .should be ok. Luckily, a lot of dealers let exhuast/CAI slide, but there are some that will look for anything.

akaeric

Established Member
I never known so much trouble with warrentys and oil changes I thought you could take your car where ever you want to get it serviced I'm not going to a Ford dealer and wait a dam hour to service my car when I can go to a quick change place and be out in 15 minutes. As afar as I know you can take your car anywhere you want to get it serviced with out voidng your warrenty. If a dealer trys to blame your oil change on a waeernty repair I agree with what someone said above run like hel and find another dealer just don't say anything to the new dealer about what went on the daler you left because I have found that those Ford reps get confused real easy go in and act like this is your first time in with the problem. Agian you can get your oil changed where ever you want just don't try any of those funny additives and stay in the manuls specs. I have been using a texico now shell quick change place because they are so fast. I'm looking at a place down the road that uses mobil one but I'm not sold on that mobil one crap they just made a fancey commercial with a funny taliking guy and showed porches and all those expensive cars and made everybody believe they had the best oil in the world I haven't had any trouble out of Havoline products and I'm known to push my rides hard.

bender460

Established Member
5w-20 is a recomendation. Unless Ford suplies you the oil or gives free oil changes use whatever oil you want.

BenD

Established Member
Mobil 0W-20

Mobil 0W-20 oil is designed specifically for these new Dbl. OH cam, 32 valve engines, including the Cobra.

The Ford spec. is listed right on the container. I've been using it under the harshest road racing conditions with no problems.

However, not that it really matters, I am probably paranoid to say the least. I change my oil every 500 miles, whether it needs it or not! Sometime I even change it when I get bored and can't think of anything else to do.

Users who are viewing this thread