Will These struts fit my 98

cobrajoe98

Established Member
Hey guys I have a new set of front struts and rear shocks that I bought awhile back for a foxbody I had. I remember reading somewhere that foxbody struts could be used on a lowered SN95 because the struts a shorter. If so i am gonna put these on my car. BTW my car will have H&R supersport springs which will be around a 1.5"-2" drop. Also what isolators need to be removed and which ones stay for the best stance with the H&R springs???

Thanks

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
I read that on Maximum Motorsports website that you can use the Fox front struts on lowered 94 and up Mustangs.

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
97cobraheaven said:
they are not struts, they are shocks all the way around. a strut goes through the spring.
Thats interesting i have never not seen the fronts labeled struts anywhere i look. I wonder why

cobrajoe98

Established Member
Hey guy's I appreciate it. Yea I have always called them struts on the front of my mustangs, they say "strut" on the box and they attach at the top at the "strut tower". I guess I was wrong, thanks for setting me straight.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
They are STRUTS on the front. A SHOCK is a dampner. A STRUT is an intregal part of the suspension geometry (as well as being a dampner). The Foxbody shocks/struts don't work on stock-height cars because they will over-extend and "bottom out,"
but on a lowered car, they aren't stretched far enough at static ride-heighth, and thus have more room to extend.

The more you know...(insert rainbow here).

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
97cobraheaven said:
they are not struts, they are shocks all the way around. a strut goes through the spring.

??????? yes they are. :bash:
McPherson struts have a spring integrated into them. maybe that's what your thinking.

Mechanic

I am a Honky
Established Member
Struts in front shocks in rear. Theres four shocks on our cars they are all in back. The two up front are struts. There is a big difference in what these two do that is why they are of completly different design. A strut is a suspension support. A shock is a dampener. The struts are up front to allow the suspension to remain in its geometry during hard braking amongst other things, the shocks are out back to soften or dampen the road oscillations as the rear end is very heavy and we dont want every varience in the road transmmited to the body of the car. The travel of the struts is a design factor. The shock will have a shorter travel. The strut acts like a shock to a point then becomes more of a suspension support.

Users who are viewing this thread