Will this be tire overkill?

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
I will be buying a pair of 315/35-17 tires soon. The car is not a daily driver and does not see bad weather so I am going with drag radials. I want to get the MT ET Street Radial 2 but am slightly concerned that they might hook up so well on the street they would bog the car down. Our Mach is basically stock as it sits now (in terms of the motor). Down the road I intend to make the change to 4.10's and add a supercharger. Do you think the MT tires would be ok for me on the street or do you think its too much tire? I had 555r's on my old GT and thought they were nothing special.

MachJoe98

Make it Bacon
Established Member
I'm running 555r's with 4.10 gears and bolt ons, and the car hooks pretty hard as long as I don't flat dump the clutch in 1st, I'm sure those MT's will be great on the street but they might be a little overkill. They offer more in terms of traction if you decide to do boost but I wonder if the cost vs longevity of the tire is something you can justify

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
I'm running 555r's with 4.10 gears and bolt ons, and the car hooks pretty hard as long as I don't flat dump the clutch in 1st, I'm sure those MT's will be great on the street but they might be a little overkill. They offer more in terms of traction if you decide to do boost but I wonder if the cost vs longevity of the tire is something you can justify

I've thought about that. We put under a thousand miles on the car last year. I doubt the car will see the strip and I don't just burn up tires for fun on the street. I figured I would get quite a few years out of them with the current usage and by then would hopefully have the blower on.

MachJoe98

Make it Bacon
Established Member
I've thought about that. We put under a thousand miles on the car last year. I doubt the car will see the strip and I don't just burn up tires for fun on the street. I figured I would get quite a few years out of them with the current usage and by then would hopefully have the blower on.

With that few miles its safe to say you are good an an aggressive tire choice... I've also heard good things about M&H and the Toyo Dr's

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
That would look sweet and it sounds like you have the car for looks anyhow

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I have only had the car since May of 2013. We added a few smaller mods last year but I have full intention to get into performance oriented parts going forward, including a supercharger.

Shakin4v

Established Member
The ETs and 555r is a good street/strip DR, the 555r will last longer but is a pain to hook with, whereas the ETs are the opposite, ive had both and its a night & day difference between the 555r and ETs, i have the 555r and wish i would have went with the hoosier DR instead with my setup

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
Well I think I answered my own question today. Looks like I will probably be adding 4.10's and a tune hopefully shortly after the car comes out of storage. I don't think I will have to be concerned with the car bogging at that point. I'll need the extra traction once I go to the eaton swap anyways.

mr-proper

Established Member
tires might be overkill for stock mach 1. my mach 1 has a tiny cam,cai and borla exhaust (34Xwhp). i run nittos NT05's 315/35/17 and i hook 2nd gear when its over 70F+and 1st gear will hook if its 80F+. ( i do have MM LCA ,Koni shocks and H&R SS springs). i say get some good street tires.
the drag radials will be worn down, before you even have the supercharger. i do have STOCK 3.55gears

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
Well I ended up ordering some 555R's instead. I decided that these would be the best choice as they should plant the power just fine and they look like they will fit perfectly on the 10.5 inch wheel. Ordered Wednesday afternoon from Discount Tire Direct and within 24 hours they were at our house. Free shipping and the best price I can find with that quick of a delivery? Can't beat it. Car will be going in tomorrow for 4.10's and a quick tune.

Tires

1660362_10103759961438953_3191662412300708179_n.jpg

Wheels they will be going on

1239364_10102965137467563_335369122_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread