Will this work?

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I want to put 275/40/17 Nitto Drag Radials on the back of my 87 Notch but my current Centerline Billet wheels are 8" wide with a 5" backspacing. If I get extra wheels that match but are wider, I have to go with a 9.5" wide wheel with a 6" backspacing. Will that work, or should I just bite the bullet and put the tires on the 8" wide rims (not the best combo)?

Last edited:

blecoupe89

Sprayin for 10's
Established Member
I wouldn't put those tires on those rims. The 275 tire is about 11in wide. They would look kinda goofy with the tire so far extened over the rim. Awsome car by the way! I love notches! :beer: :banana: :pepper:

TORQUERULES

Established Member
blecoupe89 said:
I wouldn't put those tires on those rims. The 275 tire is about 11in wide. They would look kinda goofy with the tire so far extened over the rim. Awsome car by the way! I love notches! :beer: :banana: :pepper:

Are you taking about the 9.5" wide or 8" wide rim? I really need some stick tires!

blecoupe89

Sprayin for 10's
Established Member
mattsstang87 said:
Are you taking about the 9.5" wide or 8" wide rim? I really need some stick tires!

The 8in. ones. The 9.5 ones will work fine and you'll have much more contact area to make that thing stick!

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
The nitto's will be fine on an 8" rim. The nitto drag radials run more narrow than the street tires. I compared my Nitto 275's to my friends 275 DR's and mine looked a LOT wider. However, to fit these on your notch you will need to either:

A)Flip the quadshock over
B)Remove the quadshock(That's what I did, had no problems)
C)Get lower control arms (Will replace the quadshock and will clear the tire).

I think that's what Lower C/A's do at least. I never bought any so I don't know.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
blecoupe89 said:
The 8in. ones. The 9.5 ones will work fine and you'll have much more contact area to make that thing stick!

Are you using a combo like this? Just wanted to know how you came up with your answer. Thanks!

blecoupe89

Sprayin for 10's
Established Member
I use a 9.5in rim with a 275 tire. I've seen an 8in rim used but the tire looked kinda strange. The best width of a rim is the biggest that will fit in relation to the tire size = bigger contact area. I don't have my inner fender lips rolled, but its darn close! :beer:

TORQUERULES

Established Member
What is your backspacing? I am using stock length axles with a turbo coupe style 4-wheel disk conversion. The 9.5" rims I can get are 6" backspacing wheels. My 8" rims are 5" backspacing.

BTW, the Nittos I am considering are 275/40/17 Drag Radials.

Last edited:

blecoupe89

Sprayin for 10's
Established Member
I'm sorry I don't remember what the backspacing is. Have you taken the rim off the car and measure what backspacing will fit with your combo? BTW...My combo has stock drums. :kaboom:

Users who are viewing this thread