Wilwood AERO6 WCCB Carbon-Ceramic Big Brake Front/Rear Brake Kit

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Has anyone here or know of anyone who tried these carbon ceramic brakes by wilwood? Impressive......but 9K each.... :oops:. Im looking into when I need to replace mine. A front carbon-ceramic disc weighs about 15-17 lbs and a rear disc is about 13 lbs. A traditional cast iron disc and its hat weigh approximately 26-28 pounds. So, with carbon ceramic each wheel weighs 11-13 lbs less, which is a significant savings when talking about unsprung mass.

Five reasons to buy carbon-ceramic brake discs

1) UNPARALLELED BRAKING PERFORMANCE
Carbon-ceramic discs have a higher friction coefficient, so they require less braking distance than cast iron discs. The higher friction coefficient generated by the carbon reduces the braking activation time, which means the car slows down before one with a traditional braking system. According to some studies, on cars with similar tires and brake pads, carbon-ceramic discs make it possible to reduce the braking distance by nearly 10 feet when braking from 62 mph to 0. That is enough space to save a human life or prevent a crash that could damage the car body.

2) ABSENCE OF BRAKE FADE
For sports cars, exceptional braking translates into steady performance.
Carbon-ceramic discs keep the braking force stable, even after repeated use, because the material operates well at high temperatures as well. For this reason, carbon-ceramic discs are particularly resistant to brake fade, especially when braking hard.
Cast iron discs are the opposite because they can heat up excessively and generate brake fade if used repeatedly, reducing the efficiency of the system. Carbon-ceramic discs, on the other hand, are resistant to deformation at high temperatures so the braking force stays constant, even after repeated use.
Obviously, the characteristics of these discs are more evident in extreme situations, like when driving downhill, on hairpin turns in the mountains, or on the track.

3) UNIQUE STYLE
Anyone looking at the car will immediately recognize the carbon-ceramic discs because of their size and their appearance. Compared to cast iron discs, a carbon-ceramic disc is usually bigger in diameter so that it can “fill” the wheel better, making everything more impressive. Also, carbon ceramic has a unique texture that is visible to the naked eye, which leaves no doubt as to its composition. Further recognition of this exceptional product came in 2004 when the Brembo carbon-ceramic braking system won the Compasso d'Oro award from the Italian Association for Industrial Design: this was the first time in the history of the award that a braking component won.

4) BETTER HANDLING OF THE CAR
A front carbon-ceramic disc weighs about 15-17 lbs and a rear disc is about 13 lbs. A traditional cast iron disc and its hat weigh approximately 26-28 pounds. So, with carbon ceramic each wheel weighs 11-13 lbs less, which is a significant savings since we're talking about unsprung mass.

The extraordinary lightness of the carbon-ceramic discs makes the car lighter and improves handling. This results in better performance in terms of consumption, driving comfort, deceleration, and acceleration.

Plus, reducing the unsprung mass by about 44 pounds improves the behavior of the car when changing directions, which makes driving smoother.

5) ALMOST ENDLESS LIFESPAN OF THE DISCS
Traditional cast iron discs have a limited lifespan that averages about 62,000 miles, then they need to be replaced. Car owners with carbon-ceramic discs don't have to worry about this because the composition and especially long lifespan of these discs means they last at least three, if not four, times longer than traditional discs. In other words, they operate without any loss of performance for the entire lifespan of the car they are mounted on. Infinity is one step away.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Always been a dream mod (ceramic rotors) but I run Wildwoods on my car all around for the past 3 years and have put them on 2-3 times, always a quality product.
-J

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Always been a dream mod (ceramic rotors) but I run Wildwoods on my car all around for the past 3 years and have put them on 2-3 times, always a quality product.
I upgraded to Wilwood AERO6 (front) & AERO4 (rear) BBKs a few years ago. (They're the same kits Shelby American installed and sells for S197 Super Snakes and GT350s, here and here, minus the Shelby logos and markup.) I'm happy with them, but hate Wilwood's parking brake. Switching from the factory "disk" system, that worked very well, to Wilwood's drum setup was a big disappointment. Even with install of their recommended cable kit, I find the parking brake useless.

Did you have this problem? If so, any recommendations? If not, what's your secret?

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I upgraded to Wilwood AERO6 (front) & AERO4 (rear) BBKs a few years ago. (They're the same kits Shelby American installed and sells for S197 Super Snakes and GT350s, here and here, minus the Shelby logos and markup.) I'm happy with them, but hate Wilwood's parking brake. Switching from the factory "disk" system, that worked very well, to Wilwood's drum setup was a big disappointment. Even with install of their recommended cable kit, I find the parking brake useless.

Did you have this problem? If so, any recommendations? If not, what's your secret?
What problem are you experiencing with Wilwood's parking brake @Norton. Slipping....Sticking? (Same brake setup) I never really had any issues with my parking brake. Sometimes my shelby can sit for extended days and when it does instead of using the parking brake I just chock the wheels. Ive heard of ppl having issues with those parking brakes when having them engaged for long periods of time.

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
What problem are you experiencing with Wilwood's parking brake @Norton. Slipping....Sticking? (Same brake setup) I never really had any issues with my parking brake. Sometimes my shelby can sit for extended days and when it does instead of using the parking brake I just chock the wheels. Ive heard of ppl having issues with those parking brakes when having them engaged for long periods of time.
Mine has never engaged properly, even with the cable adjusted to max "tightness." My car and a friend's have the same BBKs. Mine came direct from Wilwood, because Shelby Perf Parts wouldn't match the deal they gave my friend. His were installed by the same speed shop we use for tuning, while I had a trusted Ford mechanic (and Shelby owner) install mine. Both setups have the same issue, requiring us to rely on wheel chocks rather than the parking brake. Very disappointing, given how well the OEM parking brake worked and the cost of these BBKs.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Mine has never engaged properly, even with the cable adjusted to max "tightness." My car and a friend's have the same BBKs. Mine came direct from Wilwood, because Shelby Perf Parts wouldn't match the deal they gave my friend. His were installed by the same speed shop we use for tuning, while I had a trusted Ford mechanic (and Shelby owner) install mine. Both setups have the same issue, requiring us to rely on wheel chocks rather than the parking brake. Very disappointing, given how well the OEM parking brake worked and the cost of these BBKs.
Thats definitely an issue and I dont blame you for being disappointed for the money you shelled out for these brakes! Im assuming you reached out to Wilwood for answers and a fix? Did you get an answer or reply for this safety concern? Reason Im asking is if im looking into investing 20k worth of brakes into my car from willwood and are they going to be there if a problem arises......thats a concern!

Last edited:

railroad

Established Member
I think Wilwood, now has a parking brake caliper that has an electric motor on it.
Flip a switch and the caliper clamps on the rotor.
Some of the Factory 5 kit car builders use them.
Need to check wheel clearance.
If you don't find them, post it and I will see if I can get a link.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Thats definitely an issue and I dont blame you for being disappointed for the money you shelled out for these brakes! Im assuming you reached out to Wilwood for answers and a fix? Did you get an answer or reply for this safety concern? Reason Im asking is if im looking into investing 20k worth of brakes into my car from willwood and are they going to be there if a problem arises......thats a concern!
Yes. A weak excuse of not having received other complaints was provided and no solution was offered, beyond adjusting the things we've both already tried adjusting.

I think Wilwood, now has a parking brake caliper that has an electric motor on it.
Flip a switch and the caliper clamps on the rotor.
Some of the Factory 5 kit car builders use them.
Need to check wheel clearance.
If you don't find them, post it and I will see if I can get a link.
Thanks! I didn't realize they offer something like this. I'm very interested, if it can be combined with their AERO4 (rear) BBK.

I need to call Wilwood to confirm, but I THINK we'd have to use Electronic Parking Brake Rear Retrofit Brake Kit #140-15979-RD. Notably, the description says "Installation would require custom bracket assemblies to fit to most applications," which doesn't inspire me with much hope of a "simple" install.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes. A weak excuse of not having received other complaints was provided and no solution was offered, beyond adjusting the things we've both already tried adjusting.

Thanks! I didn't realize they offer something like this. I'm very interested, if it can be combined with their AERO4 (rear) BBK.

I need to call Wilwood to confirm, but I THINK we'd have to use Electronic Parking Brake Rear Retrofit Brake Kit #140-15979-RD. Notably, the description says "Installation would require custom bracket assemblies to fit to most applications," which doesn't inspire me with much hope of a "simple" install.
Thanks @Norton for taking the time to explain your situation with your wilwood e brake problem. Appreciate it and good luck with finding a remedy. Really disappointing to hear of a company leaving a customer with a problem and no answer to a fix.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Thanks, @Vinnie_B. I'll say again, I like the looks and performance of the BBKs, aside from the unsat parking brake.

I think the electronic brake @railroad mentioned must be a new add to the product line, in that Wilwood didn't recommend it during any of my (circa 2019) calls for advice/assistance. It has great potential, though I'm disappointed in its high cost and need to fabricate(?) "custom bracket assemblies to fit to most applications."

railroad

Established Member
Another option some of the kit builders are using, due to the lever/cable not being effective for a parking brake.

Here is the link to the electric caliper

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I think @Black Gold 380R is running that Kindigit e-brake set up.
I'm running that E-Stopp Push Button Emergency Brake on my 65 Mustang project. It is not made by Kindig it, but I believe they also run that kit on their builds.

I'm VERY happy with it. Very nice not having a handle in the middle of my center console nor having a foot pedal to engage the E-brake either. Works great too.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks, @Vinnie_B. I'll say again, I like the looks and performance of the BBKs, aside from the unsat parking brake.

I think the electronic brake @railroad mentioned must be a new add to the product line, in that Wilwood didn't recommend it during any of my (circa 2019) calls for advice/assistance. It has great potential, though I'm disappointed in its high cost and need to fabricate(?) "custom bracket assemblies to fit to most applications."
I think this video off youtube of E stopp might interest you @Norton.
May help you out with your ebrake issue.

E Stopp Emergency Brake Install​

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
While at SEMA last week, I was happy to speak with Mike Hamrick from Wilwood regarding the parking brake problem I encountered following install of their AERO4 BBK. I'm hoping Mike's advice, which was more detailed than the instruction manuals and previous calls to Wilwood, solves the problem next time I have the Shelby up in the air. Either way, I'll provide an update after I've had a chance to follow his advice <fingers crossed>...

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I put the Shelby on the lift for the end of season oil change, before her long winter nap. I implemented Mike Hamrick's advice, which I'm pleased to report mitigated the problem I've had with my Wilwood AERO4 BBK parking brake. While I remain unwilling to trust it on a serious incline, it does finally work. Look forward to seeing how the functionality holds up next year...

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Just for the record they dont last anywhere near as long as they claim. In fact, Porsche owners take them right off and put irons on so when they go to sell the car its not worth $15k less smh.

I am considering a set for my Trackhawk but thats ONLY because ive done everything else to make it faster and lighter. Carbon ceramics should be the very LAST mod on ur car.

The rotating unsprung mass is great but again unless uve done EVERYTHING else to make it faster than these should be last on ur list of mods cause to be honest I doubt ur ass would feel the difference......

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Just for the record they dont last anywhere near as long as they claim. In fact, Porsche owners take them right off and put irons on so when they go to sell the car its not worth $15k less smh.

I am considering a set for my Trackhawk but thats ONLY because ive done everything else to make it faster and lighter. Carbon ceramics should be the very LAST mod on ur car.

The rotating unsprung mass is great but again unless uve done EVERYTHING else to make it faster than these should be last on ur list of mods cause to be honest I doubt ur ass would feel the difference......
So, I've had carbon ceramic brakes on my 2016 GT350 since the spring of 2017, and I've done more than 40 road race track events with them in the five years since I put them on. They're great to drive with and the rotors haven't shown any signs of wear. A set of track brake pads is a seasonal situation, not every few weekends like it is with iron brakes. Oh, and they reduced the unsprung weight by a total of 45 pounds across all four corners. Yes, they're expensive to install, but they're surprisingly cheap to run. And they don't make enough dust to matter.

I have to agree that there's a bit of a dumpster fire over at the Porsche forums around Porsche's carbon ceramic brakes. Certainly, back 15 years ago, they truly didn't stand up to track use, although for street use they're just fine. Since then, I can't say how they stand up - there's a massive FUD (fear-uncertainty-doubt) campaign being waged by the iron rotor makers to get Porsche owners to switch. Maybe it's valid, maybe not.

As for North American performance cars equipped from the factory with carbon ceramic brakes, the two that come to mind are the 2019 C7 ZR1 and the 2016 Viper ACR, both with Brembo (ie - not Porsche) brakes:

So, there you go, I've got them, I like them and I'd do it again.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
So, I've had carbon ceramic brakes on my 2016 GT350 since the spring of 2017, and I've done more than 40 road race track events with them in the five years since I put them on. They're great to drive with and the rotors haven't shown any signs of wear. A set of track brake pads is a seasonal situation, not every few weekends like it is with iron brakes. Oh, and they reduced the unsprung weight by a total of 45 pounds across all four corners. Yes, they're expensive to install, but they're surprisingly cheap to run. And they don't make enough dust to matter.

I have to agree that there's a bit of a dumpster fire over at the Porsche forums around Porsche's carbon ceramic brakes. Certainly, back 15 years ago, they truly didn't stand up to track use, although for street use they're just fine. Since then, I can't say how they stand up - there's a massive FUD (fear-uncertainty-doubt) campaign being waged by the iron rotor makers to get Porsche owners to switch. Maybe it's valid, maybe not.

As for North American performance cars equipped from the factory with carbon ceramic brakes, the two that come to mind are the 2019 C7 ZR1 and the 2016 Viper ACR, both with Brembo (ie - not Porsche) brakes:

So, there you go, I've got them, I like them and I'd do it again.
Nice! Like I said im considering them for my Trackhawk and after reading that I feel better about street use. $16k is quite a nut for rotors tho smfh geeezzzzz

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Nice! Like I said im considering them for my Trackhawk and after reading that I feel better about street use. $16k is quite a nut for rotors tho smfh geeezzzzz
Do your research and read up on them. They're not for everyone, but not because they don't work well. I got mine because they made my wheel+brake unsprung assemblies as light as the GT350R carbon rims, except I got that handling benefit with any aluminum rim I wanted to run. And, I have five sets of rims I run.

If you don't need them then don't buy them. For street use, they'll last 100k miles or longer, but if you don't keep cars that long, it may not be money well spent. Mine came from DESIGNED & BUILT IN AMERICA WITH US BRAKE TECHNOLOGY. They're breathtakingly expensive for the Trackhawk, but they're the real deal for performance.

Users who are viewing this thread