Window Air Conditioner vs. Portable Air Condition for Home

jcthorne

Established Member
We installed an LG minisplit in our master bedroom over 10 yrs ago for the same reasons. We let the rest of the house set back to 85 at night and just keep the MBR cool. Works very well. The LG died at about 8yrs old. Inverter board failure. Replaced with a Pioneer brand unit and so far its working just as well. Both units are nearly silent and also provide heat in winter (heat pump cycle). These are MUCH more efficient than portables and window units. Ours is a SEER of 22. Runs less than 2amps current at 240v when running.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I forgot to mention a point in my last post. I researched the cost of a "mini split" (never knew they were called that), and for the cost of buying a unit and having it installed, you might as well buy a full-size unit, especially if you already have duct work running into the room.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I bought a De Longhi portable ac unit a couple years ago from costco. The window sills in the house we were renting did not allow for an in window unit, and we had no central air. It was the weirdest window install I have ever seen. Anyways the unit I got is something like 12k btu, 3-in-1 where it also has a heater and dehumidifier, rolls around on wheels, and all I have to do is empty a water resevoir at the end of summer. It works well for us. It kept our rather large living room/kitchen/hall way area cool enough, it struggled but it was a large 2 story space with no way to separate the rooms from each other. Our bedrooms it keeps cold no problem. It has an exhaust port you put into a window, but it doesn't draw air in from outside. It wasn't 3k like someone mentioned above, but it wasn't cheap. I think it was around 600 but don't remember exactly.

Only thing I don't like about it is how heavy it is. It weighs as much as a tank. It makes a bit of noise, but so does any other ac unit. I haven't had much experience with in window units so I won't make the claim it's just as good as one.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You really have to do your research on the portable AC units, and make sure when you run the ducting to an outside ventilation you seal it good. Otherwise you are just venting that hot air back into the room you are trying to cool.

We are likely going to get one for this summer, our apt complex has no plans to install wall mount AC units even with yearly temperatures rising, and will not allow renters to mount their own in the windows.

There are a bunch of people ive spoken to here that use the portable units and all have pretty good success. But of course, if you are looking at the cheapest one that barely meets your sf needs, you are doing it wrong.

Blackness03

Established Member
If you plan on living there for a long time, I'd spend the money and do it right. If not I'd just turn the air down colder downstairs. When I lived in a townhome, I would have to set it on 65 at night to be 70 upstairs. I cant sleep when it's hot.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
You really have to do your research on the portable AC units, and make sure when you run the ducting to an outside ventilation you seal it good. Otherwise you are just venting that hot air back into the room you are trying to cool.

We are likely going to get one for this summer, our apt complex has no plans to install wall mount AC units even with yearly temperatures rising, and will not allow renters to mount their own in the windows.

There are a bunch of people ive spoken to here that use the portable units and all have pretty good success. But of course, if you are looking at the cheapest one that barely meets your sf needs, you are doing it wrong.

if you must have a portable make sure it has TWO hoses. that way it draws its air for the condenser from outside instead of from your home. with the single hose type all that air that comes out of the hose to the window comes from in your home, that air has to be replaced. you will end up bringing hot air from outside through every nook and cranny in your home.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
I forgot to mention a point in my last post. I researched the cost of a "mini split" (never knew they were called that), and for the cost of buying a unit and having it installed, you might as well buy a full-size unit, especially if you already have duct work running into the room.

I paid 700.00 shipped for a Pioneer unit from amazon. installed it in less than 2hrs. unit comes pre charged and it is basically hanging a bracket on the wall and drilling a 2 1/2" hole for the lineset. the only thing you need to call someone for is to pull a vacuum on the system, even then there is a way around it by "purging" the air from the lines. really is a simple do t yourself job.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I paid 700.00 shipped for a Pioneer unit from amazon. installed it in less than 2hrs. unit comes pre charged and it is basically hanging a bracket on the wall and drilling a 2 1/2" hole for the lineset. the only thing you need to call someone for is to pull a vacuum on the system, even then there is a way around it by "purging" the air from the lines. really is a simple do t yourself job.

I didn't know the prices had come down that much. Back when I looked, Mitsubishi was about the only player in the game, and they wanted somewhere around $5K for the unit.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
I didn't know the prices had come down that much. Back when I looked, Mitsubishi was about the only player in the game, and they wanted somewhere around $5K for the unit.

Yeah I think you are correct, I remember them being very expensive years ago

colin450

Established Member
Go to a supply house near you and ask about a ductless split system. If you're only doing 1 room you can get a small (less btu) one for sure. Not sure about your State but in MA you can get a $500 rebate on the energy efficient models. Easy install, most plumbers can do them now, no need for an HVAC guy. You won't regret it.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
I have a LG Portable unit (10k BTU) that cools very well. No complaints. Use it for one room at times when my Central air is struggling on hot days.

Zerohe

Bro do you even Boost?
Established Member
Sounds like you are using one central unit to cool both floors. Did you not do two zones (two units) because of the extra cost? I have two units and with that setup there is no second floor issue with a room being too warm. I went out of my way to ensure that both units were properly sized (first floor unit also cools my office & workshop in the basement). Since apparently adding another zone/unit is out of the question, I definitely agree that a mini-split is your best option if you can afford the extra cost over a window unit. I hate window units, but sometimes they're the only option for folks.

Mitsubishi Mini-Split Systems (single and multi room)

Thanks for the Link!

Im thankful for all the knowledgeable members we have here. I was wondering what those types of Air Conditioners you find in Hotel rooms are!

I have central heating but no cooling in the house I currently rent. So we have an ugly window unit that cools our Living Room, but doesn't reach down the halls, so at night I have to leave the ceiling fan on, and place a box fan at the edge of the room to push the air down the hall and one at the end of the hall to push air into my hotass bedroom.

I walk out of my room at night and the rest of the house is 60-70ish. I go back in the bedroom and it feels like its 85!

ATFPat

Established Member
Some good feedback, thanks guys!

The reverse was that the master bedroom was always the coldest room in the house in the winter. The "always wrong" temperature of the master bedroom is something I definitely won't ever miss from that house. I liked everything else about it. (Except the 8', popcorn ceilings.)

When we first looked at houses, I couldn't believe the amount of popcorn ceiling homes! My wife didn't mind, me ..... Meh. All I could think about was the mess it would make trying to get that stuff off the ceiling and repainting.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Some good feedback, thanks guys!

When we first looked at houses, I couldn't believe the amount of popcorn ceiling homes! My wife didn't mind, me ..... Meh. All I could think about was the mess it would make trying to get that stuff off the ceiling and repainting.

Yeah. And what's so bad is that every single homeowner I've ever talked to that went through the time and/or expense to smooth it says it's not worth it. I even talked to a couple contractors about having them come in and smooth it out, but they said it wasn't worth it, too. Believe it or not, there are actually people out there that like popcorn ceilings. They say a smooth ceiling looks too plain. I think smooth looks more elegant and classy. I grew up in a house with textured plaster ceilings.

venmos1

Established Member
Yeah. And what's so bad is that every single homeowner I've ever talked to that went through the time and/or expense to smooth it says it's not worth it. I even talked to a couple contractors about having them come in and smooth it out, but they said it wasn't worth it, too. Believe it or not, there are actually people out there that like popcorn ceilings. They say a smooth ceiling looks too plain. I think smooth looks more elegant and classy. I grew up in a house with textured plaster ceilings.

Before you go ahead and scrape it, make sure it doesnt have asbestos in it. I was fortunate enough to not have popcorn ceilings, but it is textured. it has some pretty cool swirl designs in every room. You can tell back in the day the guy had some talent. We painted it white and it actually looks pretty cool. When we first bought the house we said to ourselves that was the first to go. Then we talked to some people with more experience who said forget about scraping it. Now when people come over the first thing they comment on is the damn ceiling.

Users who are viewing this thread