Window motor

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Question regarding testing my window motor. The window hasn't worked for a bit, tested the switch and it wasnt any good. Went direct from a dewalt battery to the motor and it worked fine. So i thought once i put the new switches(drivers & pass) in i would be golden. Well no luck, i can hear a clicking at the motor but it wouldnt start. Again i tried the dewalt battery direct and it works. Thoughts?

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
When you say it worked fine when wired direct to battery, what do you mean? It moved the window fine or...?

I remember my 01's driver's side window stopped working one day right as I pulled up to work with the windows down and a thunderstorm approaching. Called my trusted local shop and mechanic said to just take a hammer or wrench and gently tap the window motor, sometimes it would bind up and get jammed (maybe that was only the case if window was in down position?). Pulled the door panel off and gave it a few taps and the window went right up. Never had an issue with it again.

Hopefully it's something as simple as that

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Correct i removed factory harness and used battery power.

Im getting 12v to the harness connector. Once harness is plugged into the motor Volt meter is only showing 4.77 volts.

While lowering drivers window and pressing pass button the drivers side motor begins to stutter. Looks like i have an electrical issue somewhere.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Is that the ground lug at the driver's side kick panel? Common Ford problem.
No sir @shurur that is by the right leg on the trans tunnel/ center console area. Ground lug at the driver's side kick panel I believe is G203 on the 1997 cobra. I generally see alot of ground issue around kick panels and especially in the engine bay due to corrosion. NVH also plays a big role in grounding issues over time. I cant say for sure if it's a ground issue but definitely worth checking because his windows are tied to that ground, the one touch down power window (Solid State) module is the real suspect.

Users who are viewing this thread