Window Problems

BlackSnake01

Established Member
Hi all. About 6 months ago my passenger-side window messed up. The glass came out of the little brackets that hold it in place. A type of resin is all that holds our windows in place! Metal brackets with resin in them, and the glass pushed down into the resin as it dries, to sort of glue the window into place. When it came out, the actuator would push the glass up way too high, so high that I couldn't close the door because the glass was hitting the paint on the top of the door frame! I don't usually bash Ford, but the design of these windows is absolutely pathetic. Anyway, I had to go to a salvage yard, get the window and parts out of a wrecked Mustang, tear my door apart, and scrape my arms all to hell to replace the glass. This solved the problem for about a month, then both doors, yes both, started doing it again. I've tried to deal with it by closing my doors before rolling the windows up. It's aggravating and time-consuming, but I can deal with it. But today when I was waxing my car, I closed the door and heard a loud rattle. My drivers-side door glass fell completely off the rails into the door, the glue will not hold it. I suppose I will have to go through Ford and simply purchase some brand new door glasses for each door. I am wildly upset, as my car is a Cobra model, and hasn't even rolled over 20,000 miles yet :mj: . And these things new are expensive. My question is this - does anyone know of a way to drill holes into the brackets AND GLASS without shattering the tempered glass? I want these things bolted into place; that's how other car manufacturers do it. I know others have had the same problem, and I feel like it shouldn't be happening. PLEASE HELP! I'm getting desperate :(

blacksheep-1

Established Member
There was a recall on these, obviously your car (and mine) didn't make the recall. From the factory, as you describe the 2 brackets come loose form the window itself, the "new" improved version has one rail that runs the entire length of the window and is glued to it. In my case, I called a glass repair company and they located the updated window and I had it installed, the other option was to have them clean out the stock 2 rails, then re-glue it back to the glass, they would not warranty that repair, only the replacement window option. So the way I see it you have 2 choices find a new updated window from a glass company or find one that has already been replaced in a salvage car and use that one.

BlackSnake01

Established Member
Hey thanks much for the advice man. I took that advice and went to a local glass shop today here in Albemarle who's work is well-known. While I was there, he got a call from the local Ford dealership. Turns out he works in collaboration with Lum's Ford here in town, does all their work when they need glass work done. He looked up the parts I needed, noticed that Ford had discontinued the "original style" windows, and replaced them with "revised versions". I can only assume this is the "updated window" that you told me of. So the guy put a rushed-order on them, charged me about half the price the Ford dealership charged me for the exact same item number part, and told me we'd have them in tomorrow. They'll be installed tomorrow before 2pm, so I'm pretty anxious to see how they'll turn out. Anyway, I wanted to say thank you for giving me the idea. I probably would have never thought of going to a specialized glass shop.

Users who are viewing this thread