window tint california

trendkilllx

Established Member
I moved from Nevada to Ca and was recently issued a fix it ticket to remove tint from side windows. I removed the tint but still have to get it witnessed by CHP to get the ticket written off. Anyhow I think the officer said you can not have any tint on the side windows but I checked the violation and not sure if I am reading it correctly but thought it said as long as it lets 80% of the light through and is not reflective. If legal I would like to put some tint back on that is not as dark as what I had.

trendkilllx

Established Member
they actually charge out here to have regular police write it off, chp office is about 1hour away so will probably just go there. The dark tint did look good on the white 03 cobra but was a bit difficult to see out of at night.

Last edited:

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
they actually charge out here to have regular police write it off, chp office is about 1hour away so will probably just go there. The dark tint did look good on the white 03 cobra but was a bit difficult to see out of at night.

have a beer at Tommy-T's for me...:beer:

Shadow_Stang

SVT Protege
Established Member
Well last I checked the laws were very iffy. My buddy had gotten a ticket 2x for having tint on his front window, both times he fought it and won. Like I said I dont know the exact details, theres a loop hole there somewhere, look into it. I have tint on front and never gotten pulled over so not sure.

Heres what a quick google search pulled up.
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/
http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/CA/

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Well last I checked the laws were very iffy. My buddy had gotten a ticket 2x for having tint on his front window, both times he fought it and won. Like I said I dont know the exact details, theres a loop hole there somewhere, look into it. I have tint on front and never gotten pulled over so not sure.

Did you read the statute? Apparently not. Please don't post responses that arent accurate. You have no idea of your "buddys" situation or the details. This OP has been provided with accurate information why post this?

Defknotzero

Established Member
I know this is somewhat old but i will be moving to cali (santa monica). I read a few places that you can have 70% up front and any percentage in the rear. Any truth?

trendkilllx

Established Member
CHP said could only run a clear tint with no shade but UV filter. Depending on the location they may not pull you over for just tint. In my case it was difficult to see at night so no big deal, they do not have much street lighting out here.

BAMM BAMM

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
No tint allowed on the front windows.....period! Any tint you want on the back windows. And putting tint on the front and hoping you don't get stopped is like playing roulette............ it's just a matter of time.

Users who are viewing this thread