Window Tint Help!!!

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
I just had my windows tinted on my 2000 Saleen and the top of the rear window wont stick right. It has those little mesh like bubbles towards the top. Anyway brought it back to the shop and the guy put another sheet on and some adhesive up top. Worked for a day and now its happening again. How do I fix this? as many guys have tint and no problems on this site. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

JustaGT5408

Established Member
i had this problem when doing the rear window on my 99. Window tint has a hard time sticking to the DOT matrix on the windows and it tends to look a different color from the outside if it will even stick at all. the best solution that i found was to actually use a black vinyl to cover the DOT matrix (sticks to it a lot better and looks black on the outside instead of discolored or whitish) and then tint the rest of the window. Of course you cant see through the vinyl but i cant see that high up through my rear view anyway so it doesn't bother me at all. Thats about the only solution that ive found to work and look consistent from the outside. hope it helps

truculentSVT

Established Member
Most of the tint shops in my area, use a certain kind of paint made to go over the dot matrix.. Thats what mine has, and it has always held up and looked great

DaBigBone

Established Member
Go back and have them cut the tint just below that. You can buy a strip off of ebay that goes over top and you cant even tell the difference.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
thanks guys. i guess i gotta experiment with your ideas. only prob is i have 35% and its not that dark to do a strip of vinyl. or maybe im just confused lol

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
As mentioned I have the vinyl strip on the rear window where the dot matrix is. I have 20% on my rear windows and it doesn't look bad. It's not in the line of sight and you can't even really notice it from the outside. Good luck.

188295_524435056448_66701471_31225495_3258259_n.jpg

4212_524435066428_66701471_31225497_4009336_n.jpg

JustaGT5408

Established Member
ill get a few pics of mine in a few hours when i get back from class. I have vinyl over the dot matrix and 5% on the window

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
thanks for the visuals guys. a little easier for me to see what you mean. so where do i get the vinyl and what size? thanks again for everyones help.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
I got mine from a local place that does custom decals and signs and stuff. Basically just measured the area of the dot matrix and had them cut me a piece of black vinyl to cover that area. Laid the tint down up to the dot matrix and cut it as a nice line across where the matrix begins, then laid the black vinyl over the matrix with it overlapping the tint just a little bit to make it look nice with no clear areas. Hope this helps
Sorry for the crappy pics, i snapped them quick with my iphone
001-6.jpg

002-1.jpg

004-5.jpg

005-6.jpg

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Did they sand the dots down at all? My buddy owns a tint shop around me and they use like a 1200 or 2000 grit sandpaper and sands the crap out of the dots. Al
Almost always lays

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
The tint shop did my vinyl as they knew that tint doesn't stick to areas like this. If your tint shop is reputable they should fix this issue for you. If your tint is peeling or not sticking there is no reason that you should have to fix it yourself. I would ask them first before you buy the vinyl to do it yourself...it's worth a shot! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread