Window Tint Problems

CobraSoze

SPTZ VNM
Established Member
I had my windows done yesterday at a place I've used before...they do great work.

I am noticing a problem today where the top 4 inches of the back window are pealed away from the window...basically where the black dots are located.

I have life time warranty on the install, so they will fix this, but I'm curious if this is a normal issue and best remedies for it.

pvteye

Established Member
most places around here cut the tint below the dots, no way to make the tint lay down right over those dots...

forcefedcobra

Established Member
two choices. Sand the dots down so the tint will stick and not come off or stop the tint below the dots and then use black vinyl either on the outside or the inside to cover up that dotted area that was not tinted.

Any decent shop should be able to tint over that and make it stick. That is if they arent too lazy.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Use a 1500 grit wet sand to rough the surface up for the tint to stick better.....that is what I have heard anyway.

My tint guy simply stopped below the dots. 3 years later tint is still good.

blue4d

Established Member
Get them to put black vinyl over the dots from the inside. Blacks the dots out completly. Mine looks great that way.

99cobrasvt

Established Member
Same thing happened to me as I was driving away from the tint shop the tint peeled off the back window.
I cut the tint below the dots and I tried vinyl over them but you could see air pockets around each dot.
So then I peeled that off masked the entire back end of the car off and painted right across the dots. Now from the outside you can't tell the difference from the paint to the tint. It looks great.

shamdoodie

changemystang.com
Established Member
i had the same problem... ended up supergluing the edges for a while til i got around to having it cut off at the bottom row of dots and then having the tint shop puut vinyl on the outside of the window and put my website name on the vinyl. glad to see im not the only one who had this problem.

snake134

wheelhopper said:
Use a 1500 grit wet sand to rough the surface up for the tint to stick better.....that is what I have heard anyway.

My tint guy simply stopped below the dots. 3 years later tint is still good.
dont you think 1500 is a little too much?

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I was told there is different types of tint, and you need a specific kind to get it to stick to the dots. I guess it's a vinyl tint? it's expensive as hell though, but it can be done without sanding. I was actually told that by two shops here in San Diego...and they showed me what they did on a focus, and it looked great...there was a difference in the bubble area, but it was uniform and didn't have the bubbles. It looked factory. They wanted $350 to do it...so my windows are still clear :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread