Winter driving

stevedm

Established Member
Does anyone on here use there car as a DD even in the winter? Any special concerns with the supercharger?

Thanks,
Stephen M

tb94ht

Established Member
interesting numbers came up today. a stock 03 with cold air and catback in today's 15 degree weather (175 deg thermostat) yeilded a high 178 ect, a 18 deg iat and a 91 deg iat2. it is about 450 ft above sea level and on a stock cobra, i saw the boost gauge go about 1/16 of an inch above 10 psi (stock pulley). in vegas at 7000 ft above sea level and 85 degrees, i only saw an estimated 7.5-8 lbs boost. interesting consideration for what time of year you get a tune.

Kostas

Established Member
I dont think there would be any issues with the supercharger, but like everyone said, traction would be a big problem....

Kostas

Established Member
interesting numbers came up today. a stock 03 with cold air and catback in today's 15 degree weather (175 deg thermostat) yeilded a high 178 ect, a 18 deg iat and a 91 deg iat2. it is about 450 ft above sea level and on a stock cobra, i saw the boost gauge go about 1/16 of an inch above 10 psi (stock pulley). in vegas at 7000 ft above sea level and 85 degrees, i only saw an estimated 7.5-8 lbs boost. interesting consideration for what time of year you get a tune.

Yeap, cold air is a nice power adder..

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
COld air, this cold air would be like adding a 100 shot of NOS!

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Mine's daily driven, rain or shine. Last week, 5:30am temp was 23 degrees and it had rained the night before. Traction is the only issue, you just have to be careful and not over-drive the tires. They don't like the cold pavement.

frydguy79

Established Member
:read:stock tires are not rated for driving in temps under 45 deg

they are to soft of compound, and dr's are not good at that temps as well

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yup, you aren't supposed to have the tires in cold weather - you need to switch them out. If you still have it, read the tire documentation and warnings that came with the car. You will need to get a set of winter tires. In addition to preventing damage to the tires, you will reduce the chances of wrecking your car...even the all-wheel drive performance types switch out the summers in the winter :)

redsap05

Established Member
Who in world would pay 45k for a highly collectable sought after car like a shelby and ruin it by getting salt on it:nonono: If you can afford a shelby you should be able to have a winter beater IMO.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It's not highly collectable unless you have a Shelby issued VIN in addition to a common GT500...the used car forum here demonstrates that all too clearly. Some people, not me, but some people choose to get full use out of a car that depreciates just like any other car and they drive it daily, year round.

steemin

Established Member
EVERY Mustang I have ever owned was terrible on the snow and ice...
Fat tires+heavy front end = no traction.
IMHO...Park it in the Winter:beer:

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread