Winter Science Fun

divided

Established Member
Didnt work for me. I must be doing something wrong

O yeah, thats right, I live in Cali :banana:

Juruense

Banned
Try using a larger volume of water or a container with thicker walls GreenSnake. You need more thermal mass to maintain the temp long enough to get out the door.

I only got partial freezing due to the same problems you are having myself... Some water hit the ground but I did get a lot of ice crystals also.

Here is an even better video I found doing it with -45 degree temp:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-GSrrk_ATM"]YouTube - Boiling water evaporating at -45 F[/ame]

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Undisturbed water will not freeze unti it gets to -6F. It was fun to get a tub of water down to -4 and then give it a kick and see it instantly crystalize.

Jim Snover

Juruense

Banned
Undisturbed water will not freeze unti it gets to -6F. It was fun to get a tub of water down to -4 and then give it a kick and see it instantly crystalize.

Jim Snover
Does the water have to be super pure for that to work or will tap water do? I ask because it is pretty much -6 out right now...

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The purer, the better. But taking water outside constitues disturbing it enough to crystallize. We used to do it by filling a bowl, letting it sit for three days, then chill it.

Jim Snover

Does the water have to be super pure for that to work or will tap water do? I ask because it is pretty much -6 out right now...

Users who are viewing this thread