Winter Storage / Mileage

Biff

Established Member
Hey Everybody,

Any tips or tricks for storing a Lightning for 5 months during the winter months? Maybe Stabil in the fuel? Change tire pressure? Any ideas are welcome....Thanks

Also, I was wondering if you guys that have some miles racked up on your L's are starting to experience any problems mechanically. I'm not talking about the people that've raced and blown sh*t up, but more the guys that drive 'em daily and put normal miles on the truck...... Just curiuos......

Thanks for any feedback.

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
Are you planning to drive it at all during the winter or are you talking about "out of service" storeage?

Most of the guys I know that drive them every day aren't finding any problems that you wouldn't find on any other every day driver.

Biff

Established Member
I live in Michigan. I definitely am storing it all winter. I will be driving my winter beater. I thought about driving it, but just decided against it due to the severity of our winters here in Michigan....

whip

Established Member
I go out to sea for 6-8 months at a time (hopefully only 4 this time). I use a little fuel conditioner (note: you can't prevent fuel from breaking down, but this may prevent gumming in your tank and will help pass moisture when you do start er up again). 3M mildew bags in the cab and bed, tarp underneith to prevent moisture from coming from the ground up, a quality cover and a tarp over that. It may be worth your while to jack the wheels so they aren't on the ground, at least drive it onto wood ramps. Hopefully this will do the trick. And while I'm home I drive the hell out of it! I have been home for a combined 6 months since owning it and have racked up 17,000 miles. The intercooler just started leaking, and the A/C doesn't seem to be that great, but other than that, she's a runner! My theory is...I paid 30k for a truck, I want to have 30k worth of fun in it, yes my bumper and hood have road nicks and I'm proud of them!

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
A good wash and wax before you put it away. If you can get the wheels off the ground that would be good but at the very least make sure to check the pressure in the tires over the layup period. You will also need to make arrangements to keep the battery charged. You might want to take it out but I'd probably just up a charger on it every so often.

yes my bumper and hood have road nicks and I'm proud of them!

Whip - :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread