Winter upgrades for the 2000 Gt

JbeastJ

Established Member
I'm just curious what you guys recommend I do to my 2000 GT 2v Mustang over the Winter. Depending on the money situation, I'm looking to spend anywhere from $1500 to $3000 on it.

I currently have
Professional Products Throttle Body ( I think 70mm )
CAI
4.10 Gears
Aluminum Driveshaft
Some Suspension work ( not sure on what all was done, bought the car with it already done )
Underdrive pulleys
315 rear tires, ( I think 275 fronts )
93 octane SCT tune with xcalibur 2
SLP loudmouths with x pipe
Might be forgetting something but that's the jist of it.

I've read the stock internals are good for 400-450 horse.
I'm trying to figure out what to throw on it over the winter for the most reliable power.

Current Routes I've came up with:

1. A few small things ( cams, intake manifold, headers, maybe drivetrain)

2. Supercharger ( tork tech or vortech, used kennebell? ), not sure how reliable those are or if there worth it, so looking for input.

3. Turbo ( maybe ON3?, really dont know much about turbos, but it looks like a cheap huge power gain that could put me right around 400 to 450, just not sure how reliable my car would be after that or if its worth it? )

But, looking for some insight and knowledge about what you guys would think is the best route. Maybe fill me in about the best route for a turbo and what kinda cost it would be, reliability, etc? :)

Thanks.

( I'll post pic of my car if someone will let me know how?, I'm still pretty new here )

phatboy5015

Established Member
My vote is for an intercooled centrifugal S/C. I just put a P-1SC on my 04 GT and its awesome. I'm pushing 11-12 psi, which is pretty close to the max you'd want to run on a stock bottom end. But with EVERYTHING, it ended up costing right at $3k.

JbeastJ

Established Member
That'd be a possibility. Did you buy that used?, thought they costed a little more then that. By the way, forgot to mention my car is a 5 speed.
I'm just dying to do some mods over the winter. Spring time, I have a buddy that just got a new edge I'm hoping to run, not sure what all's done to it, but a friend of mine said its engine is built. Then my other friend is just finishing up his 80s camaro, that has a mildly built 350 ( He's been talking mad trash ). So I'm a little eager to get pushing some more power.

Also, I was thinking about going the turbo route ( a cheaper turbo route lol ). Then If i get forged internals and build up my engine, It seems like I could push up the boost for some big numbers? ( nothing to huge, I'd be more then happy with 500 to 600 horse) I'm not that educated on forced induction though.

phatboy5015

Established Member
Yeah, I bought used. And the fact that you have a 5 speed too, I'd still vote for centrifugal S/C. Turbos really need an automatic, unless you like constantly waiting on boost to build between shifts.

JbeastJ

Established Member
So, Me having a 5 speed will heavily effect the turbo? So should i just stick to a supercharger then? Could I get more details on the benefits of the two and what kinda power I'd make and stuff

phatboy5015

Established Member
So, Me having a 5 speed will heavily effect the turbo? So should i just stick to a supercharger then? Could I get more details on the benefits of the two and what kinda power I'd make and stuff

You'll definitely be able to make more power with a turbo, because a S/C takes power to make power. But with a 5 speed, you'll make more USABLE power with a S/C. That being said, there are plenty of folks that have 5 speeds and turbos. But a lot of them convert over to automatics and 3.27 gears after getting sick of waiting on boost every gear.

Also, the 4.10s would need to be swapped out for 3.27s or 3.55s because the 4.10s won't put enough load on the engine. And load is what builds boost on turbo cars.

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Tork Tech hands down. The power, reliability, and amount of options you have with this kit make it worth every penny. A centrifugal isn't even comparable on a "fun to drive" level it's instant boost down low and hard pulling power to redline. Plus you can't beat the sound of a screaming Eaton. Don't let the centri guys fool you, you can put together a Tork tech kit for almost the same price as a laggy vortech.

But I must ask what are your ultimate goals for your car OP? Will it be a street car the majority of its life or a track car? Each setup will suit a different driving scenario better than another. For a strong running, seat of the pants, fun to drive street car you want a Positive displacement blower. Something that sees lots of drag strip time a centri or turbo would be better suited because they're more well mannered off the line.

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
You do not need a cowl hood. A 99/01 cobra hood works, or an 03/04 cobra hood works. Basically any hood that doesn't have the valley starting at the front of the hood clears it just fine.

With a Tork tech kit you can use any KB that would bolt to a cobra, thus you have more options. Or whipples, ported eatons, lysholms etc. That is for when you want serious power, an Eaton is more than enough to destroy our bottom ends.

I used to believe a KB was the only way to go as well, but with the price of a Tork tech kit you easily can have it done cheaper than a KB an make the same power.

phatboy5015

Established Member
You do not need a cowl hood. A 99/01 cobra hood works, or an 03/04 cobra hood works. Basically any hood that doesn't have the valley starting at the front of the hood clears it just fine.

With a Tork tech kit you can use any KB that would bolt to a cobra, thus you have more options. Or whipples, ported eatons, lysholms etc. That is for when you want serious power, an Eaton is more than enough to destroy our bottom ends.

I used to believe a KB was the only way to go as well, but with the price of a Tork tech kit you easily can have it done cheaper than a KB an make the same power.

Well, I'll be honest, I haven't researched the Tork Tech kit a ton. But I researched it enough to know I'd need a hood and would have heat soak issues no matter which PD blower I chose. That was enough to turn me off to them. I will say you have to wind it up a little on a centrifugal to get some boost, but not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Mine starts building boost around 2700 rpm.

But it basically boils down to this:
Do you want the "big block" feel? Get a PD.

Do you want the same basic powerband as the car has stock, just WAY more up top? Go centrifugal.

JbeastJ

Established Member
My car is only going to be a fun to drive street car. With maybe an occasional run at the drag strip. I like the idea of a turbo, but I don't want to switch to an automatic, If anything, I'd switch to a t56 down the road. I'd like to get something like a tork tech kit. But I think that might be out of my price range.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Forced induction is the only way to go on a 2v in all honesty. A PD blower will be an absolute blast to drive, and you'd be surprised how easily you can piecce together a TT kit. That's my vote, and btw the heat soak isnt as bad as you may think it may be.

JbeastJ

Established Member
Alright, I'd love to go that option. With the heat soak, would it still be safe if I took the car for a long cruise?

JbeastJ

Established Member
Also Kleech, what part of Indiana are you located in? I'm in the northwest corner of Ohio, I go through Angola/Auburn/Ft. Wayne area every so often. Would love to check out what you've done to your mustang.

phatboy5015

Established Member
Alright, I'd love to go that option. With the heat soak, would it still be safe if I took the car for a long cruise?

The heat soak really just affects power. What happens is they build up heat during cruising and timing gets pulled because of the higher IATs. PD blowers are actually more efficient while they're in boost. But as far as reliability, all S/C's are about the same.

JbeastJ

Established Member
So if i were to go the tork tech kit route. So what would I be looking at spending, 3k to 4k? Any good places to shop for these things?

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Heat soak is really only going to occur when it's a very hot day or your sitting there idling for quite some time. Since the eatons have a bypass valve that vents the excess air when out of boost that helps. But yes heat soak is still something you have to fight with any PD blower. I was non-intercooled last year running 8psi and my car ran great. This winter I'll be moving to an intercooled setup. Last year I was in the same situation as you wanted to do stuf to my car didn't know what to do, realized that the little piddly stuff wasn't worth it and went with a blower and I couldn't be happier!

But I'm from Marion Indiana, it's about 45 minutes south of fort Wayne down I-69. The cars currently sleeping for the winter already but I'd love to meet up with some svt'ers next year and have a big cruise!

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
You can run 8-9psi on an eaton non intercooled. It's really all in the tune, as long as you aren't running loads of timing it's safer. There's just lots and lots of variables. Tork Techs website is a little lackluster and not very detailed but they do have wonderful customer service. The intercooled kit costs 2199 and leaves you needing a few other pieces. The blower, fuel setup, intake, pulley, belt, tune etc. it sounds like a lot and looks like a daunting list but it really isn't as bad as you think. I had just a hair over 3k in my non intercooled setup with lots of new parts, things can be had used cheaper.

phatboy5015

Established Member
I agree that you should definitely get a blower instead of any bolt ons. Bolt ons are cool and all, but by the time you buy a few wimpy ones, you could've doubled your power with a blower.

Users who are viewing this thread