Winterizing the 03

Stein03Cobra

Established Member
So to put the cobra away for the winter I use some Stabil and throw a cover on it. Last year the tires came out a little rough. Wondering for anyone who puts it up on stands where they put them? I have a full MM suspension if that changes anything. When working on it I find decent spots depending on what I'm doing but just wondering where is the best spot underneath to last 4-5 months? Also...anything else I should be doing?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I use to put layers of carpet under the tires to try and prevent some flat spots. Never seems to help much. This year I broke down and spent the money on some race ramps flatstoppers. We'll see if that helps out. Other than that this is what I do.

Wash and detail car.
fresh oil and new filter.
Full tank of gas with stabil in.
Baking soda inside the car.
Steel wool in tail pipes.
pull battery and put on a tender.
cardboard under the whole car.

I've had mice in my garage before, so that's why I put steel wool in the tailpipes, and also have traps and use a some different scented stuff I got from a farm store which is suppose to help.

mach14604

Established Member
I use to put layers of carpet under the tires to try and prevent some flat spots. Never seems to help much. This year I broke down and spent the money on some race ramps flatstoppers. We'll see if that helps out. Other than that this is what I do.

Wash and detail car.
fresh oil and new filter.
Full tank of gas with stabil in.
Baking soda inside the car.
Steel wool in tail pipes.
pull battery and put on a tender.
cardboard under the whole car.

I've had mice in my garage before, so that's why I put steel wool in the tailpipes, and also have traps and use a some different scented stuff I got from a farm store which is suppose to help.

I would really like to know if the flat stoppers worked also. Keep us posted.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I put pieces of carpet under my tires to help cushion against flat spots. Seemed to work well.

I don't change the oil before storing the car though. Everyone says to change it before you put it away and bring it back out. It's a $60 job to change the oil myself, so I change it in the spring before I ever start it.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
So "Staybil" is what you guys use when storing the car for winter? Is there another brand that is comparable or better? I've never done this before but I'm thinking about doing it this year.

akeohan

Established Member
Yep, sta-bil fuel stabilizer, carpet, battery charger, and a car cover. You should be all set. I also change my oil in the spring.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I used seafoam in the gas tank, car wash, cover, baking soda, oil change, jack stands wife starts it for me once a week and it runs fir about 15 mins

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
Mine is usually stored for about 3-4 months, and I don't do anything to the tires. I have never had any flat spots develop.

Montana

Ford and Mopar Guy
Established Member
Stabil and battery tender on mine. The Shelby has flat stoppers this winter. First time using them. Hope they are worth it. I change oil in the Spring, I wanted to do it before storage, but didn't have ramps with a low enough approach angle. Looking at lifts now.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I would really like to know if the flat stoppers worked also. Keep us posted.

Will do! It's been sitting since the 3rd week in October and I'm guessing it won't get out until late april. So that's a long 6 months!

03' White Snake

Established Member
I take my good rims off, put on 2 stockers and 2 spares. Lift car onto jack stands. You want the suspension to be loaded. I put it away with 1/4 tank of gas and stabil. I put 2 moisture reducing containers on the floor inside the car. I change the oil in the spring when i take it out. Mine has been away since 2nd week in October and won't come out until mid April and the city sweeps the sand from the streets.

Last edited:

4601S/C

Established Member
Yep, sta-bil fuel stabilizer, carpet, battery charger, and a car cover. You should be all set. I also change my oil in the spring.

I use Seafoam as well. I let my car sit on regular tires with the pressures at 42-44 PSI. I just go out and rotate (i.e.-Spin) them once every few weeks. I also try to drive it for 15-20min once every month or two. I put mine away in mid-late Nov. Took it back out on the 28th (Sunny 60* day:rolling:). No flat spots or any other problems to report. I did pretty much the same thing last year without any issues. Although i didn't put the car away till late December last year, as we had several nice days till the end of fall.

ajt9229

Established Member
I pumped my tires to 40lbs hopefully to help with not getting flat spots., Wash, wax, Stabil, baking soda, moisture absorbers disconnect negative on battery and car cover

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Damn that sucks to have to put these to sleep for 4 months. It's about 60 here right now and I'm heading out of the garage right now for some fun! :D

ajt9229

Established Member
Damn that sucks to have to put these to sleep for 4 months. It's about 60 here right now and I'm heading out of the garage right now for some fun! :D

Dick!!!!! :bowdown: LOL... Must be nice I just got done snow blowing 8" of snow!!!

Steve@Tasca

Didn't see this mentioned but be damn sure you've got antifreeze in your intercooler system!!

Even you Southern guys, a few years ago there was an unusual cold snap deep into the South and a bunch of guys ended up with cracked intercoolers and engines full of water.

Don't be this guy,

DUCKY.jpg

This important safety message brought to you by your friendly forum Sponsor at Tasca, Steve :)

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Dick!!!!! :bowdown: LOL... Must be nice I just got done snow blowing 8" of snow!!!

LOL

Sorry man....there are some advantages of living just north of Mexico. Lol. The weather is beautiful today.....the ol girl just ripped 22psi to the top of fourth. She loves drinking that corn :D:rockon:

Blueline

Established Member
LOL

Sorry man....there are some advantages of living just north of Mexico. Lol. The weather is beautiful today.....the ol girl just ripped 22psi to the top of fourth. She loves drinking that corn :D:rockon:

I am so jealous!!!! I just brought in a ton of firewood for my wood burning stove and getting ready for a huge snow storm that's knocking on our door :fm:

Users who are viewing this thread