Wireless router question.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Basically I have my cell phone tethered to my PC. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to broadcast the signal through my router. I have the router plugged into the computer. All I am trying to do here is broadcast an internet signal.

(Forgot to pay the cable bill, and yes I do have the data package with my carrier)

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
i dont know if thats possible or not, and if it is possible, if it's tethered to your pc, then you're probably not on broadband speeds, and it wouldn't even be worth it to try.

good luck though.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I've got a AT&T Tilt that has 802.11G and 3G. I know you can tether it to a PC to use it as an Internet Connection, but I believe when you do that it is expecting to use the 3G as the connection. Not sure if it will use the 802.11G when tetherd, I'll have to try it some time. I know I can connect to a 802.11G Hot Spot with just the Phone and use it to access the Internet.

You might be able to setup Internet Connection Sharing for the Phone Connection in XP/Vista and not use your Router, but just a Switch and get your other PC's to use that connection as an outgoing Internet Connection.

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
If your phone is running Windows Mobile and has wifi, you can use ICS built into the phone. Otherwise, you'll need to disable DHCP on your router and enable ICS on your desktop, and plug the desktop into one of the LAN ports on the router. Then all the computers on your network will get an IP address from the desktop instead of the router and should have internet connectivity.

03CobraBro

Established Member
i dont know if thats possible or not, and if it is possible, if it's tethered to your pc, then you're probably not on broadband speeds, and it wouldn't even be worth it to try.

good luck though.

I ran some tests on my connection speed and it says it runs about 200kbps. Definitely not as quick as the cable. However that's over 100kbps faster than ISDN and a shit load faster than a 56k connection.

Thanks for the pointers guys, I'm going to try some of the things you guys mentioned, then I'll probably hit the drawing board again.

Users who are viewing this thread