Wireless Routers

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Hey everyone, I am in need of a wireless router for my new laptop, but I also need something that will work with my Xbox 360. I also have a desktop. The desktop is at the opposite end of the house from my 360. I am going to get the Microsoft 360 Wireless network adapter so I can get on Live. The wireless network card in my laptop is the Dell 1505 Wireless-N mini-card. Now, I don't know a thing about any of this, so does anyone know of a wireless router that will work with my laptop, the 360, and also my desktop? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

bettner12

Iraq bound
Established Member
uuuhm pretty much any linksys. you would want to get one with N capability for sure for your laptop. most routers have at least 4 wired ports so put the router in the middle of the house run cat5 to the desktop and make everyone happy. if your a big online gamer with the xbox i would consider wiring it directly to the router and possibly getting a PCI wireless card for your desktop to eliminate an possible lag

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
I have a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 Ghz broadband router with "speed booster" that I would be willing to sell if interested. Id have to find the CD and cables for it, I threw the box away. I was using it when I lived in the campus dormrooms, but now I have an apartment.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Hmmm, ok. So what is the difference between all the 802.11a/b/g/n crap? And if I had to guess, I'd say my 360 and desktop are about 60-75ft away if that matters/helps. I wouldn't call myself a big gamer either, but I do like to get on and play Halo pretty often and check out the demos and stuff.

Last edited:

mysticalsnake

Established Member
i know whenever i last checked circuit city carried the basic Linksys G router for $50

i wouldn't bother with anything that has speedbooster as neither your desktop, laptop, or 360 have speedbooster...and if you would get an N router, it would be faster than a G with speedbooster, you just have to make sure the wireless network adapter for the 360 will accept the N wireless signal

JasonSnake

Established Member
I have a Netgear WPN824 and very user friendly setup menu. I recommend it. PM me if you want it...

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
get a wireless N router, they have 2 antenna on the base and tend to get better range. I have a D-link, but the brand doesnt matter much.

GodStang

Established Member
Linksys also:

0,1425,i=106305,00.jpg

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Well I went and got a Linksys WRT54G and Xbox wireless adapter today. Took about 45 minutes to set everything up and works like a charm. I'm downloading some new Forza 2 content on Live and typing this on my laptop across the house from the router. :banana: Thanks for the help guys.:rockon:

JasonSnake

Established Member
cool! Make sure that you are using WPA encryption in the router so neighbors won't try to use your signal...

Users who are viewing this thread