With 21 pounds of boost on 93 octane tune, should I...

With 21 pounds of boost on 93 octane tune, should I...

• Keep 3.5" pulley and pull timing

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Drop boost with 3.75" pulley

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mach1033

Established Member
To maximize your performance, OCTANE should set your timing limits. 21# is too much for a reasonable timing 17-21* with a Whipple. I hope the "drop the boost" vote wins.

Being that Torco is out of the question then the " drop the boost " vote should win.

nooner

Established Member
Actually, whatever I do, having a spare can of Torco along is probably a good idea in case I can't find 93 octane on a trip or something.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I'm about 20# on my daily driver tune with the 2.8H. I use 93 octane and 1/2 can (16 oz) of Torco per tank. I don't have to use Torco with the daily driver tune, but, pump gas being what it is, my tuner strongly recommended it. My plugs look very good this way, and I want to keep them that way!

Last edited:

Riptide

Established Member
Seen a lotta posts about torco and orange plugs because of that mmt in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
its toss up either way, I see your point, that the higher boost w/less timing may be better than a low boost w/adv timing.... IMO lower the boost w/ aggressive timing, less of a chance grenading it....:beer:

this a reason of why I'm thinking of a meth inj kit just for the octane value - via hobbs pressure switch possibly activated higher than 10-15psi. mine is fairly conservative 19psi, 17 degrees timing, 11.0 AFR

Last edited:

nooner

Established Member
Why did you swap to the Aluminator?

I just realized your question was probably more about why I didn't keep my original block. The reason was because it melted down when TK Performance forgot to put oil back in after an oil change and I didn't check oil pressure until it was too late.

gamebred26

Established Member
my car is on 20 lbs and 16* of timing...my tuner had no issues doing that. he is all about being safe. on reg 93 oct.

delvin.a

Established Member
Ouch! That is a bummer about your other motor. But seems like you're on your way now anyways

:beer: my vote is lower the boost, put a piece of 1/8" or even 1/4" metal taped to the top of the pulley and see of it fits. If so drop boost and up timing .

nooner

Established Member
its toss up either way, I see your point, that the higher boost w/less timing may be better than a low boost w/adv timing.... IMO lower the boost w/ aggressive timing, less of a chance grenading it....:beer:

this a reason of why I'm thinking of a meth inj kit just for the octane value - via hobbs pressure switch possibly activated higher than 10-15psi. mine is fairly conservative 19psi, 17 degrees timing, 11.0 AFR

"higher boost w/less timing may be better than a low boost w/adv timing", then again it may not. I was hoping someone would know and chime in. My tuner thinks it isn't worth getting a bigger pulley, but the order is in to Lethal, and they warned me that Whipple says it won't work with a stock hood without some sort of modification. I guess I'm going to find out the hard way.

Thanks for everyone's input. :beer:

nooner

Established Member
Ouch! That is a bummer about your other motor. But seems like you're on your way now anyways

:beer: my vote is lower the boost, put a piece of 1/8" or even 1/4" metal taped to the top of the pulley and see of it fits. If so drop boost and up timing .

Good idea. I was trying to think of a way to do it. :beer:

gamebred26

Established Member
its all in the tune..would you do 21 lbs and 18 degrees with 11.8 afs? no..

my af are 11.2s 11.0s..very rich...20 psi and 16 degrees..tried 17 it only picked up like 8 hp so he backed it back down and left it. plus you set parameters when it gets to hot to start pulling timing as well.

thats my dyno in sig...

i was always told better to run more boost then more timing to get power.

from everyone from the evo world to the honda world and now in the mustang world.

gamebred26

Established Member
most tuners get a boost level and set the timing accordingly till it knocks then back it off...i dont know one who sets a timing advance and adds boost till it knocks and backs it off boost...esp with a twin screw lol.

if your tuner is fine with the 21 psi he will set the timing for that...

then just beware of the ghost of the bad tank of gas LMFAO!

fyi i have yet to meet person who blew their car up from the "bad tank of gas" that is what a shitty tuner tells you what happened lol.

stick to reputable gas stations V-POWER baby!

mach1033

Established Member
"higher boost w/less timing may be better than a low boost w/adv timing", then again it may not. I was hoping someone would know and chime in. My tuner thinks it isn't worth getting a bigger pulley, but the order is in to Lethal, and they warned me that Whipple says it won't work with a stock hood without some sort of modification. I guess I'm going to find out the hard way.

Thanks for everyone's input. :beer:

I doubt that a 3.75 pulley is gonna hit the hood. Here a pic of my 2.9 with the 3.5 pulley along with my strut tower brace.
279554[/ATTACH]"]
cobra100.jpg

Attachments

• cobra100.jpg
    cobra100.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 46

nooner

Established Member
I doubt that a 3.75 pulley is gonna hit the hood. Here a pic of my 2.9 with the 3.5 pulley along with my strut tower brace.
279590[/ATTACH]"]
cobra100.jpg

That's interesting! Your 3.5" pulley looks completely different from mine. And I'm planning on adding the same MM STB in the future (I asked you about it in a different thread)...

(click for full size pic)

Anyways, talking with my mechanic this morning, he pointed out the absence of the underhood liner alone should make up the difference, so I think I'll have plenty of room. I'm also going to upgrade my mufflers to Spintech's 3" side exit system. The inlet is a 3" round pipe and the outlet is 3.5" x 2.25" oval bent 120 degrees out to the side. I'm hoping the fabricator can open up the exhaust tip to further reduce restriction. Hopefully this will drop boost enough so its at least under 20 psi, hopefully close to 19. If not, I'll have the 3.75" pulley to fall back on.

Attachments

• cobra100.jpg
    cobra100.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 72

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Less boost more timing.. as the car heats up or heatsoaks it pulls timing anyways so technically it's safer so to speak. vs a constant 21psi no matter what.. why would you want to be on the ragged edge either way?

nooner

Established Member
Less boost more timing.. as the car heats up or heatsoaks it pulls timing anyways so technically it's safer so to speak. vs a constant 21psi no matter what.. why would you want to be on the ragged edge either way?

I trust my tuner wouldn't have me riding on the "ragged edge".

Users who are viewing this thread