With 93 race tune, would it hurt anything (besides wallet)dump some vp 112-114 octane

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
I know when I had my 87' GrandNational when turning up the boost you would dump a couple gallons of VP fuel in the tank to help keep it from detonation. The down side was that it tore up O2 sensors after 1 night of racing so you always had to swap a new set in for the ride home. Are the new 5.0's and thing like this? Anyone running race fuel, and if so what octane and what is done to your car and could you tell adifference? Has it ever harmed the O2 sensors at all?

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
it would likely hurt the o2s. maybe not right away but you never know. probably not worth anything really. it may help prevent detonation but will not gain anything. a buddy gave me a full tank of q16 for my audi s4 when it was on a 93 oct tune and spray. smelled awesome, ruined o2s, got better mileage for some reason. but i really dont think it ran any different

apg2369

SNAKE OF ALL TRADES
Established Member
I know when I had my 87' GrandNational when turning up the boost you would dump a couple gallons of VP fuel in the tank to help keep it from detonation. The down side was that it tore up O2 sensors after 1 night of racing so you always had to swap a new set in for the ride home. Are the new 5.0's and thing like this? Anyone running race fuel, and if so what octane and what is done to your car and could you tell adifference? Has it ever harmed the O2 sensors at all?

use Sunoco 109 unleaded

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Unless your setup needs the higher octane fuel, it is a total waste to use it. Not only does it cost more, but if nothing else changes besides the fuel, you will actually lose power

grnenvy

Established Member
There's no pwr to be found with higher octane. This question has been talked about for years. The only gain u get from high octane is that your able to run more timing and a leaner fuel mixture which will make more pwr and tq.
On a side note if your car is pining the knock sensors will pick it up and retard the timing.
I always run 93 just to be safe.

2011redcandy

Established Member
If you are running the cars balls out on a track night, adding a few gallons of high octane fuel or torco is cheap insurance against bad gas, or too aggressive a tune etc correct?

With the #8 crap thats been all over the place, its just cheap piece of mind IMO.

Last edited:

djclark

Established Member
With the #8 crap thats been all over the place, its just cheap piece of mind IMO.

The #8 issue had nothing to do with octane and everything to do with bad tuning practices. He is wasting his money. He also runs the risk of not fully burning fuel due to the increase in octane. That fuel then ends up going thru the cats making them sad. Like others have said, if you don't tune for the higher octane, you're wasting money and could potentially end up running slower. But hey, to each their own.

acrbill

Established Member
The 2011+ cars have wideband o2 sensors so you will want to avoid ruining them at all costs since they are probably spendy as hell.

According to John Lund the ECU is adaptive. The same parameters that allow you to run 87-93 octane will also allow you to get more performance from a higher octane. To a point..... I don't think dumping 117 in the tank will help at all, on the other hand a splash of 100 may help.

Jfoster

Established Member
Unless your setup needs the higher octane fuel, it is a total waste to use it. Not only does it cost more, but if nothing else changes besides the fuel, you will actually lose power

Yep - You want to use the "correct" fuel for your application. Higher octane fuel is simply more stable, which means it's more difficult to ignite. This holds off detonation (unintentional ignition of the fuel..or pre-ignition) but could hurt power if you run higher octane fuel than your car actually requires due to the fact that higher octane fuel burns slower.

Check out this link - great stuff:
High Octane

Users who are viewing this thread