Without Resonator

Best Car Movie Chase

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sho Kid

DeadLee
Established Member

Is it true that if you removed the resonator, there's a possibilty that it won't pass the smog test?

Allstyle12

Established Member
Legal?

Sho Kid said:

Is it true that if you removed the resonator, there's a possibilty that it won't pass the smog test?

No, that is not true. Any exhaust from the cat back is legal as long as it is not too loud.

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
The resonator is only there to quiet it some before the muffler. If you remove it you may experience a nasty rasp sound without updating your exhaust.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
strongly depends on what state your from, for example, any modification done to any part of your exhaust or emissions system is illegal in MA, but many people including myself have been passed with modified exhaust because we're lucky. Friends in the smog industry could help tho.

Id personally remove the resonator and replace it with a nice muffler

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
WTF does the poll have to do with the question?

Allstyle12

Established Member
Id personally remove the resonator and replace it with a nice muffler[/QUOTE]

That's what I did and removed both mufflers at the back and I absolutely love the sound. I have 0 rasp cold or warm. People have told me the sound is a mix of a V8 Mustang and 350Z. Might be a little to loud for some. A guy in a Corvette the other day pulled up to me and said "That's the best sounding Contour I have ever heard". Not sure if he has heard to many though....:coolman:

IMG000312.jpg

Last edited:

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
No resonator = horrible sounding car. Harsh, raspy, and tinny. It only gets worse with other exhaust mods. (Y-pipe, headers, straight through rear mufflers)

Replace the stock resonator with a quality straight through unit.

1BadCSVT

Missing my E0!
Established Member
DemonSVT said:
No resonator = horrible sounding car. Harsh, raspy, and tinny. It only gets worse with other exhaust mods. (Y-pipe, headers, straight through rear mufflers)

+1 Agreed!

chinaski

Established Member
im thinkin about gettin the tru-bendz exhaust without the resonators, will i be gettin that same tinny raspy sound that everyone talks about when they remove the resonators?

ClOckwOrk

Established Member
i have a trubendz exhaust 2.5" with magnaflow muffler no resonators, i have a test pipe no cat (in MN we dont get tested for emissions :D) and a weapon R y pipe. i have gutted precats, which makes it sound like its underwater at idle, and it's deep and loud, NO RASP at high rpms. of course this will most likely change dramatically when i get headers, right now i have alot of engine bay noise since i gutted the precats.

Zeyzer

Blue Blooded
Established Member
DemonSVT said:

Have you done this? I'm just wondering how it worked out and sounded. I thought about maybe using Ultra Flos from Dynomax in place of the resonators and leaving everything else in place or leave the resonators and use Super Turbos in place of the factory mufflers. Hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread