wolf in my rear?

04svt84

Established Member
so my rear was howling so i took it apart and found i had bad bearings well i took it to a shop ordered all new bearing and 3.90s so i got it back yesterday and its all good around my town BUT as soon as i get over 45 it starts howling so much i can hear it over the radio almost all the way up.. WTF im gonna bring it back to the shop but does anyone know what would cause this.. gears set too tight?:shrug:

buckinwild

Established Member
Does it do it all the time or is it better or worse while its under load or coasting along with foot off the gas pedal.

04svt84

Established Member
Does it do it all the time or is it better or worse while its under load or coasting along with foot off the gas pedal.

Does all the time over 45 but gets much better with my foot off the gas. Yea it gets much quieter coasting and is almost nonexistent under 45

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
They screwed up the install. Take it back. Ill be putting my 373s in within a few weeks. Just in time to store it for the winter haha.

buckinwild

Established Member
Not sure if there is another way of finding out but I ordered a build certificate from Ford SVT that has the build no. date and all that jazz on it. Cost is around 50 some odd dollars, a little pricey but worth it to me. Got it framed and hanging in the garage.

buckinwild

Established Member
Goes without saying at this point doesn't sound like your gear was installed correctly. My opinion is irrelavent but sounds like pinion is shimmed to deep from the condition you describe. Just from my experiences granted I don't know all about gear installs but shimmed to shallow usually howls on coasting and shimmed deep howls under throttle. Backlash is most likely off as well. Good luck with it, I've been there and done that before. I don't trust no one around here to install a gear now. I'll do my own when it comes time to put in the 4.10's. I did the 3.73 in my 02 gt and come to find out it was shallow shimmed to .024, it probably should have been .030 and backlash was tight at .004 where .008-.012 is target numbers if I remember correctly. It had a slight..slight howl on coasting (couldn't hear with windows down and wind noise present) but never had any problems with it aside from that and drove it for more than a year and 15K miles.

04svt84

Established Member
Goes without saying at this point doesn't sound like your gear was installed correctly. My opinion is irrelavent but sounds like pinion is shimmed to deep from the condition you describe. Just from my experiences granted I don't know all about gear installs but shimmed to shallow usually howls on coasting and shimmed deep howls under throttle. Backlash is most likely off as well. Good luck with it, I've been there and done that before. I don't trust no one around here to install a gear now. I'll do my own when it comes time to put in the 4.10's. I did the 3.73 in my 02 gt and come to find out it was shallow shimmed to .024, it probably should have been .030 and backlash was tight at .004 where .008-.012 is target numbers if I remember correctly. It had a slight..slight howl on coasting (couldn't hear with windows down and wind noise present) but never had any problems with it aside from that and drove it for more than a year and 15K miles.
ye i went and told him that he it was too tight and he told me it was right on the money went it left but he said he would take a look at it again for me i feel like im :bash:

buckinwild

Established Member
ye i went and told him that he it was too tight and he told me it was right on the money went it left but he said he would take a look at it again for me i feel like im :bash:
Report them to the better business bureau or get an attorney or something, hold them accountable. You can find someone to prove that its not right, take it to another shop and have them double check the settings, you may pay for it initially but you should be able to recover that cost in the end just add it to the claim. Make sure and give them some free publicity so this doesn't happen to someone else in your area.

04svt84

Established Member
Report them to the better business bureau or get an attorney or something, hold them accountable. You can find someone to prove that its not right, take it to another shop and have them double check the settings, you may pay for it initially but you should be able to recover that cost in the end just add it to the claim. Make sure and give them some free publicity so this doesn't happen to someone else in your area.
so i went there today and he drove it and told me its the gears wearing in and to keep putting miles on so i was driving it around made it about another 50 miles and started to hear a screeching noise so i stopped got out looked didnt see anything started driving again made it about a 100 yards and had to stop at a light made a right and heard *CLUNK* let off the gas and pressed down again started to spin accelerated a little more and then a louder clunk so i limped it to a parking lot and called every friend i have found a car trailer and dumped on the shops front door so ill find out tomorrow :shrug:

04svt84

Established Member
so i got smoked i sheared the ends off the diff housing somehow they are saying its my fault:burn: so my brand new 390s were smoked chewed to shit from the pieces floating around i got royally ****ed

buckinwild

Established Member
Hmmm... well that probably eliminates all hope of proving that it wasn't installed right I guess. Well, beyond suspicions anyway.:nonono:

04svt84

Established Member
Hmmm... well that probably eliminates all hope of proving that it wasn't installed right I guess. Well, beyond suspicions anyway.:nonono:
Victory shall be mine!! :banana: i took it to 2 different race car builders i know in town and they said the wear pattern on the pinion gear are showing that the pinion was shimmed too deep.. so on monday when they are open again im goin to talk to him and tell him ill split the bill and he buys me new 390s

buckinwild

Established Member
Victory shall be mine!! :banana: i took it to 2 different race car builders i know in town and they said the wear pattern on the pinion gear are showing that the pinion was shimmed too deep.. so on monday when they are open again im goin to talk to him and tell him ill split the bill and he buys me new 390s
Thats great news you have someone to speak on your behalf, I wouldnt split nothing Id make him pick up the entire tab, you've paid enough already either through money or time that you havent be able to drive your car due to being in shop or broke down. Just remember we are a sort of back up as well, lots of people on these and other boards have had gears installed and drive our cars just as you did so that would tend to eliminate the theory that racing or ragging our cars would lead to a failure alone without someone installing them improperly. And the bottom line is a gear is a gear, there's not a whole lot of difference between them physically, would they suggest that the stock gear would have done this by now too? not likely....

Users who are viewing this thread