Won't engage gearing at high rpms

CobraLov3r

Established Member
Hey guys,

Tried doing a few pulls yesterday on the highway starting from second, and wide opening. As soon as I hit about 5k rpms, i attempted to shift into third. Didn't go in, got a grinding noise and I let off the accel. Tried doing it again, same thing occurred. Normal driving, the car shifts and engages just fine into each gear without issue. When I romp on it, it is extremely difficult to get into gear.

You can see my mod list below. There is a ram power grip clutch that was installed from the previous owner. I installed a mgw "race" shifter about a month ago which seems to have broken in nicely, and hasn't given me any problems. When I depress the clutch, no noise is made. When I let off, a little grinding noise is being made which at first I just though was normal. If i let off the clutch too slow in first the car will shake including the shifter and I hear that noise again a little louder.

I've been told it could be the TOB. I've been told it also may be an adjusted with my aftermarket firewall adjuster. The car just broke 8000 miles on it yesterday.

Any help/suggestions would be great, and what are my options?

Thanks

Last edited:

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
If you can get under the car, there is a small protective cover on the driver side of the tranny where the clutch fork is. You can take this off and inspect the TOB to see how far it is from the pressure plate. Maybe it's adjusted too far away and at higher speeds the clutch isn't disengaging enough. With the car running and in neutral, watch the TOB to see if it is spinning at all. If it isn't have someone adjust the clutch cable at the firewall in the engine bay (assuming you have an aftermarket adjuster) until the TOB starts to touch the fork and spin. Once it does this have them then back it off a little until it stops spinning. This is what I did with mine and I haven't had any problems shifting at high RPM's or premature TOB failures.

CobraLov3r

Established Member
If you can get under the car, there is a small protective cover on the driver side of the tranny where the clutch fork is. You can take this off and inspect the TOB to see how far it is from the pressure plate. Maybe it's adjusted too far away and at higher speeds the clutch isn't disengaging enough. With the car running and in neutral, watch the TOB to see if it is spinning at all. If it isn't have someone adjust the clutch cable at the firewall in the engine bay (assuming you have an aftermarket adjuster) until the TOB starts to touch the fork and spin. Once it does this have them then back it off a little until it stops spinning. This is what I did with mine and I haven't had any problems shifting at high RPM's or premature TOB failures.

Thanks, I'm going to try that.

fbody83, from what I believe yes. The previous owner didn't say anything about a built tranny besides different gears, 3.73's.

Users who are viewing this thread