Woohoo. Got my car started after sitting for 2 years!

sb306

Established Member
Well I finally decided to work on getting my car started.I've been feeling pretty guilty because its been sitting there rotting outside for about 2 years now. Been busy with work, lightning etc. Its a 81 fairmont with a 302, brodix heads and a cam, silver claw 650, and a laundry list of other crap. Well I had the carb off to clean it and while I did that I had the intake covered with a tarp and another cover.(Hole in the hood for the air cleaner). When I pulled the tarp off it looked like water got down into a couple of the cylinders. So I took all the plugs out and cranked the engine over a couple of times. I had a couple of water fountains. I didn't think it was going to be as bad as it was. So I pulled the oil filter off and water and oil came out of it. After that I pulled the drain plug and cranked it over for a few times to try and flush everything out. I put on a new filter and poured in new oil. With the plugs reinstalled I tried to start her up. It didn't do anything the first few times, but it started firing periodically. Then it started running for a few seconds at a time. Then I was able to nurse it and keep it running at about 2k rpm. She was popping sporadically and backfired a couple of times, but it was running. Then when I let off the gas it dropped down to about 700 rpm and I heard the cam lope! I got excited all over again! Shes not running great, but considering what the engine was like before I started I think it says a lot for the ford small block. I could see 1 of the 4 boosters dumping fuel in at idle, so that was part of the problem. It was idling good, but giving it any throttle would kill it. Unless I gave it enough to overcome the initial bog. On the "test drive" she was popping and not running to great. My main thing was to see if it would fire and run. Got a carb rebuild kit , callin in sick thursday to work on it. Sorry for the long post. I've had the car since I was 16(29 now I think), so Im pretty excited. ;-)

KazooGS-T

Established Member
Also, if you haven't fired it up in 2 years, your gas is most likely BAD and will cause some of those problems. Get some fresh gas and get her fixed up!

sb306

Established Member
Also, if you haven't fired it up in 2 years, your gas is most likely BAD and will cause some of those problems. Get some fresh gas and get her fixed up!

Actually lastnight I ran the fuel pump and ran all the fuel out of the cell. Then I put in new fuel. Im gonna have a lot of work ahead of me since its been sitting outside so long. Thanks for the encouragement , Im gonna need it. lol.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member

It's carbureted. A $5 brass fuel filter does the trick. I know, my 302 has gas in it thats almost 3 years old and it starts right up every time. :lol1:

sb306

Established Member
Sweet! Any pics? I always liked those old Fairmonts.

I need to look around for my old pics. Its a faded beige with black steel wheels and rwl on the tires. 245s on the back and 205s on the front. It has a Alston front clip so it sits nice and low in the front. It sits higher in the rear, but the tops of the rears still sit an inch or so into the fender(the fronts do the same). I never liked that jacked up in the rear look. Forgot, its also a 4 door. You'd have to see it. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread