Working 2 Full Time Jobs & What I've learned.

CV355

_
Established Member
Number 6 is the story of my job.

"He is 30, so he can do 300%"

"He is 50.. he can only do 50%"

I relate it to a relay race.

I have to run 1000 miles on broken glass, go to hand the baton off to the next runner who only has to run 100 feet and they go "ehhhh naw I'm taking a vacation" or "I'm already SOOOoooOOOOoooo busy."

Dbzguy

Black Sheep Squadron
Established Member
Years ago I did the 2 job thing for a while. 1st shift I worked at a golf club factory and then did telemarketing in the evening and still could go drinking with friends afterwards. You can do that stuff in your 20s.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I relate it to a relay race.

I have to run 1000 miles on broken glass, go to hand the baton off to the next runner who only has to run 100 feet and they go "ehhhh naw I'm taking a vacation" or "I'm already SOOOoooOOOOoooo busy."

Basically I think the guy is 52ish, or something close to that in his 50s. I just turned 30. Him and I have the same exact position.

Absolutely zero manual labor required.

Here is a part of my job. We have truck drivers that pick up oil from a tank. They then drive that oil to a "station" where the oil goes into a pipeline. At that station, they leave a ticket showing what they did. My job requires once a week to pick up those tickets by the supervisors.

So once a week I do that. Him on the other he literally gets in a truck, and does this 5 times a week. And literally nothing else.

Today I have to drive 375 miles (one way) into his area, to get out of my f150 and hold my phone, and take a picture of a valve. Because he simply doesn't want to do ANYTHING other than pick up tickets and go home.

I've been told before " He's simply not intelligent enough and not ambitious enough to do more at his age" ....the fact that, THAT in this world is an excuse to have a job is mind boggling to me

CV355

_
Established Member
I've been told before " He's simply not intelligent enough and not ambitious enough to do more at his age" ....the fact that, THAT in this world is an excuse to have a job is mind boggling to me

And that's somehow acceptable in this society we live in. You're expected to do more because you can, but God forbid you want a linear pay scale based on output and quality- that's... *sniff sniff* UNFAIR!!

GM2Ford

Established Member
As I worked these 2 full-time jobs, I learned that no-one can put a price on your free time. Your free time to do whatever the hell you want to. I was literally on full machine operating mode. I never had a break. I was either working on my car of the weekends, sleeping, or trying to maintain a personal life outside of work on the weekends. It became very challenging especially to focus on working my project car, hanging out with friends and exercising all well remaining mentally sane.

I could keep going if I wanted too... But the fact is, I don't want too. I did this for 2 months longer than I said I was going too. This has been a very interesting 6-month journey. I probably will not do it again.

Weeks didn't feel like weeks, they felt like just one really really long day with naps in between.

Well, guys, I put in my 2 weeks notice to the night shift job. Friday, Sep 22nd is my last day. I can't wait! To be honest, I hardly even remember the summer. I just remember work. Although I did save up a nice amount, more than what I expected. I wanted some time to focus more on hobbies and such. I want to focus on having actual conversations with people instead of feeling on the go all the time. I really miss just taking my time with things.

It was a nice journey!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Its hard to put a price on a good work-life balance when you can afford to work less.

Rct851

Established Member
I'm all for hard work and grinding away but unless your work is truly your passion or the money is outrageous (subjective) anything over about 50 hours a week regularly is sad to me.

I figure if you have the work ethic to consistently perform at 80-90 hours then that focus could be used to find your way to more money for your time

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
If I was making OT that put me in the 40 dollar an hour range or something obscene, I would work my ass off and pull 70 hours. I like money and I like what it brings to me.

But fortunately I live the salaried life with little stress that comes with the up and down of hourly. Except for when bills/money is tight on that particular month and I have no faculty to make extra money aside from turning wrenches or whatever.

smitty2919

Established Member
Work those hours for now to get your house/pay off bills. When a house comes you WILL need to give it attention/time unless you pay someone to mow/clean/general maintenance etc. Start thinking of retirement if you can pocket enough money. Sounds funny being 26, but you will be laughing all the way to the bank to 80% of the people you know when that time comes. No one teaches you financial stability. They teach you how to take out loans etc.

If you keep this up you will be a miserable mother effer.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I find that working extra hours in a job that allows a lot of free time makes it easier for people to revive old threads. o_O

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
It is admirable that you are so dedicated to your goals, but also a sad thought. You are working away valuable time in your life, you will be dead before you know it.
If you feel this is a worthwhile investment into your future happiness and you are willing to suffer today for a better tomorrow, then by all mean continue.

I once read something that proposed that poor and lazy people were genetically different than wealthy hard workers. I didn't believe it... but after some years, I am starting to think it is true.

Users who are viewing this thread