Worth buying an already built car or start fresh?

CM5878

Established Member
Not in any rush, but I see some great deals in the market here on supercharged 11-14s. Any apprehension on eventually researching these or is it best to start with a stock car for almost the same price?

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Very simple answer, it depends. You'll definitely save money if it's already done, given a few conditions. Are the parts the same as you'd want to use, or will you "upgrade"? Who installed the parts? Reliability is a big issue, so you'll want everything documented. That's tough because a lot of guys like to do things themselves, myself included, so that will be your call. In the end, a built car can save you money, but if it wasn't done right are there are issues with the car you could end up spending more than you planned.

badblackhemi

Established Member
You could do what I did if you plan on having a high hp, built car. Buy one with the fi of your choice, full bolt ons and suspension and do the forged motor/fuel yourself. I knew I wanted to make 1000hp. Bought a car with fi capable of making that. Probably saved $10,000 buying it the way it sits. The twin kit and suspension are reliable. But I get to choose and oversee what parts for the motor and fuel are ordered and who installs them.

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
As others have already stated, it's a two way street. If I were to sell mine it would cost you more up front than you could buy a na car for but there's no way you could add the extras and break even. My advice would be buy something already modded to your liking but be very selective who you buy from.

Dig Race

Established Member
For me I just like the building aspect and love working on my car. It takes all the fun away if you buy it done. Anybody car buy a car built... Takes skill to build it. Yeah you can save money blah blah

kdaly

Established Member
Buy it built. You'll save a shit ton of money. Take the difference in money and spend a little of it to build the engine and/or make sure its solid. You can buy a 100k car for 35-40k second hand. Take another 7k and build the motor. Wont have to worry about much after that. If it already has built motor then there isnt much that a couple grand cant fix. If I totalled my car I'd buy a built car. Found a 1200whp CTSV for 70k yesterday. You know you could get it for 65 easy. I've got way more than that in mine with half the HP/TQ. But it is fun working and upgrading your car. There is a lot to be said about that, but i'd still buy a built car that has all the tasteful mods I want.

The only problem with buying it built is you will have to have cash as you usually cant get a loan for the full amount you need.

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
Either way, the key is careful inspection. Lots of supposedly stock cars are really part out cars or were tuned and ragged on or are motor number 2 cars. Modified have their own risks and you need to really look at the quality of the work.

Last edited:

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
I'd buy an already built car if you buy it from someone with the same train of thought as myself. Someone who has all receipts for parts, that drives there car often, who has nothing but quality parts. Id be more worries about the "weekend" cars, most of their mileage will be racing. As others have said, you could always build a motor and fuel system and have one hell of a car way more cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread