Worth it to go to Court?

dh2398

Established Member
I got a speeding ticket for the first time in 4 years last month and my court date is Tuesday. Problem is it's an hour and a half away and I have to work. I called the court today and it turns out this county doesn't allow the prosecuter to reduce charges so that I don't get any points. Is it worth it for me to show up and see what happens? Do I have any other options? I don't want my insurance to go up and I don't turn 25 till February. I also don't want this to be on my record because I'm currently testing for the FBI. Any thoughts?

cguy

Established Member
Hell yea, its worth it to take it to court. Here's the way you look at it, you are already facing the worst penalty if you plead guilty. If you take it to court there is a chance they may reduce it, probation, or even the cop may not show(unlikely) but worth it. Me, I 'll never plead guilty to a ticket(read my "work zone viol." post) especially if there is always that 5% chance that the cop doesnt show and I get my money back. Why deny yourself the opportunity to have luck be on your side once in your life.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
They don't reduce points/charges in that county? Well, there's still a chance that the officer *might not* show up, so if you can take a vacation day at work and show up at court, it may be worth it.

One speeding ticket isn't going to make or break your decision to get accepted to the FBI, by the way. :) Now, if you have a pattern of recent traffic infractions, that would be more likely to raise an eyebrow or two...know what I mean?

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Although a spotless driving record is great, don't worry about the FBI. It only shows you're human. I had a speeding ticket on my record and had no problem getting hired by my local agency. It did'nt even come up.

As far as insurance going up, maybe it will be worth your time going t ocourt. Good luck,...I'd go for it!

dh2398

Established Member
Thanks guys.

I'm also wondering if there's any way the judge would reduce the charges. If I get a chance to speak, what should I say? Should I wear a suit?

And I know the ticket isn't a big deal with the FBI. I'm just paranoid. I'm worried my age might be a disadvantage for me and I want to be as competitive as possible with a nice clean record.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
I'd suggest wearing nice clothes, show that you're not some scumbag. It shows respect to the court.

Be honest with the Judge. Let him know its very important to you to have a clean driving record because you have applied to the FBI. If this is the only violation on your record, bring up that fact.

dh2398

Established Member
Well that was a waste of time...

After reading everyone's posts about their experiences with tickets and going to court, I was expecting it to be a lot different. First of all I wasn't allowed to speak to the prosecutor beforehand. Next, the officer wasn't there and apparently he wasn't supposed to be. When it was my turn to go before the judge I asked if the charges could be reduced to non-point violation or if I could attend traffic school of some sort instead of being charged. He told me that in his 21 years he had never taken points away.

So watch your a$$ is Wayne county Ohio.

sbro712

Established Member
How do they get around not having the officer there? I don't believe that Wayne County has an exception to the Constitutional right to confront your accuser.

I know if I don't show up to court to testify, the case gets thrown out.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by sbro712
How do they get around not having the officer there? I don't believe that Wayne County has an exception to the Constitutional right to confront your accuser.

I know if I don't show up to court to testify, the case gets thrown out.

Well, that is a good point, however the prosecutor is essentially assigned as the "representative" for the city/county so the officer does not have to appear in court. In other words, it is the city/county who are "charging you" with the citation, not the individual officer. Make sense? Remember, this was probably a civil infraction and therefore a civil hearing (read: traffic court), not a full-fledged criminal trial, per se.

dh2398 - Sorry to hear about your outcome. There are certain traffic courts where the judges don't budge one bit, sounds like you ran into one of those courts/judges (21 years and he has never cut a single person a break on a traffic ticket - that is amazing! He must be pretty bitter LOL).
Anyways, if you are not familiar with how your local courts function (because they all operate slightly different, with certain nuances), then it's definately in your best interest to retain a lawyer, hindsight being 20/20 of course... :)

Last edited:

sbro712

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRA90GT
Well, that is a good point, however the prosecutor is essentially assigned as the "representative" for the city/county so the officer does not have to appear in court. In other words, it is the city/county who are "charging you" with the citation, not the individual officer. Make sense? Remember, this was probably a civil infraction and therefore a civil hearing (read: traffic court), not a full-fledged criminal trial, per se.

Ahhh...here in Texas, a traffic offense is a criminal offense so I have to be there to testify to the facts of the case.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Same in California, the offense may be an infraction, however it's a criminal infraction and the issuing officer is the only witness the state has.

Muskalope

Established Member
I think all this is "cart before the horse" talk. At least in CA where I'm from, the first appearance is when you make your plea....guilty, no contest, not-guilty.... Anyway, they MAY reduce your speed, but I've never heard of them taking points off, or changing a moving violation to a non-moving.

If you plead not-guilty and want a hearing, then you'll get a later court date for when the officer is supposed to appear.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I would appeal, just to irritate the court. I've heard of these situations where "judge rules all", but this defeats the purpose of the whole system. If I ever hear another "In my x years of being on the bench" B.S., it'll be too soon. :nonono:

Kiddk1

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL
Established Member
that really sucks, appeal if you can, how can you argue your case when the guy who gave the ticket is not even present! this really pisses me off.

Users who are viewing this thread