Worth swapping Blowers????

HausCobra

Established Member
So I have a 2004 cobra with KB Mammoth 3.2 blower. All supporting mods fuel, trans, suspension all done. Was complete on the car when I bought it and was all brand new basically with minimal miles on the blower setup. Car has 21k miles on it all
Mods were done by one owner and one shop in which I have all docs for. Strong selling points that made me buy vehicle. Only problem is learned that the KB 3.2 Mammoth is to much blower for 93 octane tune. I will not be racing he car and E85 is not available by me. So the torque is suffering on 93 octane. Not able to run the boost this blower really wants to be spy at. Car made 610hp 510tq SAE on conservative tune and dyno. Fun as hell to drive and actually hooks good Bc torque isn’t as violent as a smaller blower would. My question to you guys is would it be worth it to purchase all new blower setup, get installed and then sell the KB setup. Seems like a lot to do especially when like I said everything is like new. Opinions ???

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
No, I don’t think it would be worth it.

What boost and timing are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

cj428mach

Established Member
I'd drop the 3.2 blower, that has got to feel lazy when you mash the throttle.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
So I have a 2004 cobra with KB Mammoth 3.2 blower. All supporting mods fuel, trans, suspension all done. Was complete on the car when I bought it and was all brand new basically with minimal miles on the blower setup. Car has 21k miles on it all
Mods were done by one owner and one shop in which I have all docs for. Strong selling points that made me buy vehicle. Only problem is learned that the KB 3.2 Mammoth is to much blower for 93 octane tune. I will not be racing he car and E85 is not available by me. So the torque is suffering on 93 octane. Not able to run the boost this blower really wants to be spy at. Car made 610hp 510tq SAE on conservative tune and dyno. Fun as hell to drive and actually hooks good Bc torque isn’t as violent as a smaller blower would. My question to you guys is would it be worth it to purchase all new blower setup, get installed and then sell the KB setup. Seems like a lot to do especially when like I said everything is like new. Opinions ???

If it is well sorted out, it hooks well, and it's fun to drive, I'd leave it alone. Swapping to something that won't hook up is useless IMO.

cj428mach

Established Member
Ya I suppose with the used 2.3 market vs what he’d get for his used he’d probably come out ahead.

Still curious what boost and timing he’s at.

If i remember you re at an elevation where spinning the blower hard. So im not sure if you ve felt an underspun blower but they suck. I originally had a 2.3 whipple that i started off at 13psi on and it was a turd, lol.
At around 17 psi the blower started to have some snap to it. I can only assume his 3.2 will be really lazy feeling. It is also probably hard on his crank or lower pulley as well.

I would think he could find someone to trade for a 2.3 and even put some money in his pocket.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Unless you're willing to store and deal with a 55 gal drum of good fuel so you can up the boost, I say yes swap it. I wouldn't be real happy with only 510ft lbs. Add to the fact a 3.2 KB is probably a heat furnace even at low boost.....you're going to see high IAT2s that will drag the street performance down even further from the 510 dyno number. I'd rather run the smaller blower for the low and mid range. 575ft lbs is not too much to hookup with any of the decent tire selections.

MG0h3

Established Member
If i remember you re at an elevation where spinning the blower hard. So im not sure if you ve felt an underspun blower but they suck. I originally had a 2.3 whipple that i started off at 13psi on and it was a turd, lol.
At around 17 psi the blower started to have some snap to it. I can only assume his 3.2 will be really lazy feeling. It is also probably hard on his crank or lower pulley as well.

I would think he could find someone to trade for a 2.3 and even put some money in his pocket.

Yep, you’re correct. Spinning to what sea level guys do to get 23-24 and I’m 19-20. Not apples to apples I suppose.

MG0h3

Established Member
Boost around 19 peak and timing not sure. I know my tuner pulls timing out to be conservative before releasing car.

Geez most only run to 18psi on 93. There’s also something to be said for running a little less boost and adding in more timing.

Dynos are all different but most guys on a 2.3 can get up around 625/550 on 18psi and 93.

What size upper pulley? Just curious what rpm you’re spinning it at.

HausCobra

Established Member
Geez most only run to 18psi on 93. There’s also something to be said for running a little less boost and adding in more timing.

Dynos are all different but most guys on a 2.3 can get up around 625/550 on 18psi and 93.

What size upper pulley? Just curious what rpm you’re spinning it at.

Biggest pulley that will fit under stock hood. 3.5 I figure with my setup I am
Loosing about 40-50 ft lbs of torque vs if I had a smaller blower

MG0h3

Established Member
With the 3.5 you are only spinning the blower to about 14krpm at 6500rpm.

Not sure what your blower is rated at but the whipple and eaton are both at 18k.

The higher parasitic loss and low rpm are why you see the lower torque. Most of it's the lower rpm though.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
You're going to need to double your offer to get a 2.3 TVS. Several of them have sold in that range, mine included.

Was wondering what he meant by that. I’ll sell him the GT500 inlet for $1200

VMP was offering trade in credits of $1,000 for a Gen 1 and $1,200 for a Gen 2 when you buy a 2.65.

I'm willing to match that. :p

Considering a VMP 2.3 is only $2,999 new, and my horrific ownership experiences thus far, I'd struggle to pay more then $1.8k for a used unit. My luck it would immediately explode upon install.

cj428mach

Established Member
VMP was offering trade in credits of $1,000 for a Gen 1 and $1,200 for a Gen 2 when you buy a 2.65.

I'm willing to match that. :p

Considering a VMP 2.3 is only $2,999 new, and my horrific ownership experiences thus far, I'd struggle to pay more then $1.8k for a used unit. My luck it would immediately explode upon install.

If you're going to do that better get on it once the new 2.3s are sold out they re gone forever. They might already be gone now.

Users who are viewing this thread