Would 225 Tires Handle Better?

TomBrooklyn

2003 SVTF

Would moving up a size to 225/17/45s from the stock 215/17/45s make the SVTF handle better or worse?

Also:
- would there be any rubbing (on a stock suspension?)

- would it require a bigger rim?

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
You mean 225/45R17 tire....

It really comes down to tire Brand/Manufacturer & performance category....

I had a set of Yokohama S-Drive Summer Performance & now running on Continental ExtremeContact DW both in 225/45R17 in the last eight years. But on the EAP rim [15-spoke Argent Rim]. I run a 205/50R17 Snow/Ice tires in the winter.....

The Yoko's were 3/10" of an inch taller but were physically wider than the OE 215/45R17 Continentals that were replaced.

The Continentals are about 4/10" taller but a bit narrower.... The tire side walls bulge a little over the rim edge & clears the OE front strut and rear OE shock when mounted. Sorta looks like "extra rubber" for rim guard protection...

I do have rubbing issues on the driver's side when pulling into parking lots from major roads when turning LEFT & some slight rubbing in the passenger rear when I have passengers in my SVTF. The Front inner plastic lip of the bumper is rubbed down, the body clip splash-shield has worn off....

Would need to post pics to give you an idea....

Last edited:

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I have rubbed off the following over these past years:

The inner splash shield corner [it use to come to a point but its rounded down]
The inside painted edge of the bumper
The inner edge/lip of the front section of the quarter panel; I keep trying to do touch-up but its either the tire or washing that causes the paint to "not stick".....

..........................................................................................

I forgot to mention that with the 225/45R17s I seem to be able to "throttle" thru traffic since there is more rolling resistance.

I can use this "negative" momentum to slow down before having to apply the brakes..... or simply ease off the throttle & I naturally slow down without braking.

Now I have to watch out for tailgaters more often than usual because of this....

IMG_3784_zpsfxwqvbx2.jpg
"]
IMG_3784_zpsfxwqvbx2.jpg
[/URL]

Users who are viewing this thread