would Steeda bushing kits help against wheel hop?

the ambush

Established Member
they have 3 kits : differential bushings, irs control arm bushings, rear subframe bushings.

anyone tried them??

i'm just tired of explaining to everybody that i can burn the tires and it's not because of a lack of power :(

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
First problem to address wheel hop are the STOCK TIRES. They suck. You need something like a Nitto 555R on the back that sticks.

2nd, check out Maximum Motorsports. They created the original IRS bushings. They are NOT easy to install, took a shop 1.5 days to install my IRS and differential bushings, and it cost a lot.

The new 03 cobra delrin control arm bushings that MM has come out with as well will help, but again not easy to install. So your list should like looks this:

1. Address rear tires.
2. Full length subframe connectors (to be welded on via drive-up lift).
3. IRS bushings.
4. Differential bushings.
5. Mathias brackets.
6. Rear control arm bushings (delrin).
7. Billetflow IRS differential brace/girdle (safety measure)
8. last resort - solid axle swap ($5200 for kit from PHP).

Coilovers may help a little too .. not sure...

Originally posted by the ambush
they have 3 kits : differential bushings, irs control arm bushings, rear subframe bushings.

anyone tried them??

i'm just tired of explaining to everybody that i can burn the tires and it's not because of a lack of power :(

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Shocks and springs can also help. (And shocks are relatively cheap and easy to install.)

Fuerza

Established Member
Re: Re: would Steeda bushing kits help against wheel hop?

Originally posted by ChicagoMike
First problem to address wheel hop are the STOCK TIRES. They suck. You need something like a Nitto 555R on the back that sticks.

2nd, check out Maximum Motorsports. They created the original IRS bushings. They are NOT easy to install, took a shop 1.5 days to install my IRS and differential bushings, and it cost a lot.

The new 03 cobra delrin control arm bushings that MM has come out with as well will help, but again not easy to install. So your list should like looks this:

1. Address rear tires.
2. Full length subframe connectors (to be welded on via drive-up lift).
3. IRS bushings.
4. Differential bushings.
5. Mathias brackets.
6. Rear control arm bushings (delrin).
7. Billetflow IRS differential brace/girdle (safety measure)
8. last resort - solid axle swap ($5200 for kit from PHP).

Coilovers may help a little too .. not sure...

Man I think I've asked for a list like this a 100 times. thanks copyed it for future reference.

the ambush

Established Member
thanks a lot,

hopefuly i wont get to the axle swap !

ps : can there be also some room for improvement in the joints that link the diff to the rear wheels? i suppose there are 2 on each side , which might be another source on distortion?

03cobra76

11 second club
Established Member
If you do the three types of bushing sets (IRS, UCA/LCA and Differential) combined with Sub-frame connectors and stiffer springs (and tires if you like), you will almost completely eliminate wheel hop, it did for me anyway.

the ambush

Established Member
will the bushing affect confort in any way?
on my old GT i swapped the front swaybar bushings to harder bushings and they wouldn't stop creaking and squeaking, as if they kept needing grease. :(
and i'm certainly not willing to crawl under my cobra every week to grease those.:nono:

03cobra76

11 second club
Established Member
Originally posted by the ambush
will the bushing affect confort in any way?
on my old GT i swapped the front swaybar bushings to harder bushings and they wouldn't stop creaking and squeaking, as if they kept needing grease. :(
and i'm certainly not willing to crawl under my cobra every week to grease those.:nono:

Well all I can tell you is that I havent had any of those issues and I've had the bushings for about 3,000 miles now. Make sure if you get the bushings you go with either delrin or polyurethane from maximum motorsports, dont use the steeda stuff as they have been known to fail under certain conditions.

D-Cobra

Established Member
i've heard mix responses from the IRS bushings.

my guess is that just doing the IRS bushing instead of the entire package wont help much in combating the wheel hop. so go down the list, and do the entire thing will better help eliminating the wheel hop.

Users who are viewing this thread