Would you ever put a 351 in your road racer

Kartracer

Established Member
Hi,
I was going to put heads on my 120k mile 94 GT road racer, but then I was thinking it probably too many miles to put new heads and a cam on so I started looking into rebuild or stroker kits. I am not looking to do anything crazy, just a stroker kit and TFS 190 Fast as cast and a Anderson b31 cam but the more I look into it the more I think I do not have the money to do it right. There are a couple of decent deals on complete 351's here locally but I am not sure I want to add the weight, has anyone done this in the track day car, is the power worth the weight?

I am hoping someone has some experience that may be able to provide some insight.

Kartracer

Established Member
I would too if it was a street car that I use for track days but it's a track only car and they are already too heave in the front.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I would too if it was a street car that I use for track days but it's a track only car and they are already too heave in the front.

Put an IRS in it to balance it out

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Isnt a 408w just a stroked or bored 351w? How does that add any more weight vs a 351w?

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
are u planning to run the car competitively ala American Iron?
if not I wouldn't get so worked up over the weight, there are other things you can do to knock the weight back down.
I haven't looked at many of the competitive cars in AI lately, maybe see what motor setups they're running to give you an idea of what to think weight wise

wheelhopper

Established Member
Sure, if your going for ultimate horsepower. Realistically though, a 331 stroker makes plenty of torque and power

mufflerbearing

Established Member
There are many factors in this equation.
1) Weight
2) Horsepower
3) Torque
4) Reliability

I installed a 351 sbf stroked to 383. It has a lot of torque, horsepower and has never given me a days problem. The weight could be an issue, but what are we talking? 100 pounds? 450- 500 hp seems to be a good track hp to target and a 351 with a stroker kit can get you there with reliability. Don't forget a windage tray and baffled oil pan.

Users who are viewing this thread