Would you get rid of your car for a 96-01 Viper?

jguerrero

Established Member
Just trying to find out opinions on this subject. Please post your opinions and thoughts.:thumbsup:

I currently have an 03 Sonic Blue Cobra, all the bolt ons with the Apten ported blower making the standard 500/500. I love my my car and would be hard pressed to get rid of it for anything else besides a Viper (or maybe a CTS-V if I needed 4 doors). It is my true dream car, and I find myself looking at Autotrader a lot and finding a bunch of them under 50k with low low miles.

Do you think its worth it to get a car that is older than the one I own now, slower, and more expensive? i am also in the process of looking for house, so I dont think its smart to get a Viper at the same time.(As far as credit scores go)

My plan was to wait until I pay of my Cobra, and then buy a used Viper. I owe like 18 or 19k on my car right now, so I am still in good position with whatever I decide. My latest plan was to wait and see what the 07 Cobra looks like, and then decide from there.
Would you say go for it, or wait, or dont do it at all.

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Nothing is more macho than a Viper...

That being said, I would never trade the Cobra for one in a million years! Maybe have a Viper in addition to the Cobra. First of all, have you ever sat in one? It's a joke! I am 6'4", 270 and don't have a prayer in the world of comfortably driving one of those! Maybe a smaller guy but they are not comfy.

They are more or less a race car that runs on the street. Harsh ride, few creature comforts, etc.etc.etc...

If you want the looks and attention, the Viper is the only way to go...

Plus, I love the modability of the Cobra. You are talking huge dough to do anything to the Viper.

Your choice, I say stick with the Cobra!

venemous99cobra

Established Member
i would say to wait a little longer and see how things are for you financially. it is never good to owe lots of money and the used viper market is only going to get better with time. As far as cars go, you may also want to consider the fact that the viper is going to cost a lot more in ALL respects from modding to gas to insurance. it is a big descision to make, however, with careful planning and a little bit of patience, I think that it is entirely possible to have your cake and eat it too. either way good luck with everything!

P.S.- If and when you decide to sell your Cobra please let me know, as it seems to be exactly the car that I am looking for! Thanks!

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
well probably not smart while buying a house, I couldn't imagine cruising in a viper all the time....bad ass!!

mystic1

KB'd BITCH!!!!
Established Member
They are what they are. Personally if it were me I would get a viper Gray w/ black racing strips. Sweet car, but just very impractical for anything than just a weekend car. But if I had the money you bet your ass I would have one sitting next to my cobra, along with five HOT NAKED WOMEN!!!!!!!

Jr Mint

Established Member
Insurance on a viper is CHEAPER than insurance on a cobra......know why?? Check out statistics on claims made on a viper......they are driven less and taken care of a lot more than a cobra is.....claims are rare and rates are cheap....my neighbor has 2 vipers and pays about 400 every 6 months for his cars(each)

jguerrero

Established Member
As far as the drivability issues go, that would not be a real issue. I have never sat in one, and do not plan to for fear that I might buy one. I live real close to work, and when I buy my house, it will be within 5-10 minutes of work. I have another car so it is just my play toy(just like my Cobra is now). My first priority is to get the house or my wife (as of this coming Saturday, wish me luck ;-) ) or she will kill me.

The way it looks now, I dont want to get rid of my car. I would like to pay it off and then keep it.( maybe turbo it after I pay it off or something:bowdown: ) But like mentioned above, the cars are real expensive to mod, and I would likely get bored of it after a whileif I could not mod it without taking all the money out of my pocket. Thats the thing I love about the 03's, if you get bored you can always add another part, they keep coming and coming.

Last edited:

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
Saw a 94 Viper in the ads today for $25K, went to check it out just for kicks. 26K miles, blown head gasket and moderate paint scuffs on the rear bumper. That sure got me thinking, I love my cobra to death, it's by long and far the best car I've ever owned but I'd ditch it in a heartbeat for a Viper!

vipergts281

Established Member
A Viper GTS is my dream car. So if I were in your shoes, I would go with the Viper.

But, go sit in one first. They are extremely uncomfortable.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
If thats your dream car, get it. Me personally, I'd stick with the Cobra. Ford:thumbsup: Dodge:xpl:

03SonicCobra

Got NX?
Established Member
NEVER, my Cobra is my dream car but the viper is not bad either. In my mind the Cobra is a lot more reliable than a Viper and it's to expensive to mod but if you can afford a Viper I assume that you can mod her anyway.

Mugger

Don't beat 'em, MUG 'em!
Established Member
Originally posted by sambandit
Nothing is more macho than a Viper...

That being said, I would never trade the Cobra for one in a million years! Maybe have a Viper in addition to the Cobra. First of all, have you ever sat in one? It's a joke! I am 6'4", 270 and don't have a prayer in the world of comfortably driving one of those! Maybe a smaller guy but they are not comfy.

Scott, dude how the hell do you fit into a Cobra!!! LOL I'm 5'10" and I feel as if I'm bouncing off the roof sometimes......

IMO I would keep the Cobra!

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Originally posted by Mugger
Scott, dude how the hell do you fit into a Cobra!!! LOL I'm 5'10" and I feel as if I'm bouncing off the roof sometimes......

IMO I would keep the Cobra!
LOL, with my new seats and brackets, the seats go so far back they touch the rear seat delete. If I have the seat all the way back, I literally can't reach the gear shift of touch the pedals.

EatonMe

Hell yes I'd ditch the Cobra for a Viper without even thinking twice about it. Right now I'm trying to find a used Viper, or newer Z06 to replace it, but all the Viper's are either too expensive, or have too many miles.

Jr Mint

Established Member
I would.....Vipers are awesome....so are vettes....I wouldnt mind having each one for a few months....just keep switching!

jguerrero

Established Member
Originally posted by Joshua
Hell yes I'd ditch the Cobra for a Viper without even thinking twice about it. Right now I'm trying to find a used Viper, or newer Z06 to replace it, but all the Viper's are either too expensive, or have too many miles.

Id dont know if I would say its that easy, my Cobra is going to be faster than both a Viper or a Z06. As it is I think my car is slow because im so used to it.

I would not trade my car in for a Z06, the car really does not interest me. Doesnt have anywhere the same appeal that a Viper does. To me its just another vette, I see more Z06's on the street than I do 03-04 Cobras.

greekss

Established Member
my opninion the viper was NEVER meant to be a daily driven car.... at least not the Rt/10. With that said i would vote that you keep your cobra and have the viper for weekend fun with the ladies.

RGrossman

Established Member
I drove my buddies 01 GTS that he just traded in his 03 Cobra on. First off, it is a very flashy car being yellow with black stripes but man is it uncomfortable to drive. With the Cobra, you can rest your foot on the gas and not go anywhere. The viper, you go anywhere near the gas pedal and it jumps forward, I didnt like that at all. Your leg is in the most uncomfortable position the entire time and there is no dead pedal to rest your foot. Other than comfort, the car is awesome. I would never give up the Cobra for one cause the Cobra is an excellent daily driver, the Viper is a weekend cruiser cause it will bother you like hell every day. Getting in and out is fun to without burning your leg on the exhuast of scuffing up the side skirts...

jguerrero

Established Member
Ya, so it seems that car pretty much sucks in the comfort department, I seen a few pics of the interior and it looks very plain and boring. I guess the smart thing would be to just pay off my car first and keep it:D and then decide from there depending on what the 07 Cobra looks like. Either way there will be some sort of new snake in my garage.

Think Im just goign to through on a small shot (50-75) on my car to keep things interesting. :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread