Would you move?

jasil

Established Member
LONG:

Wife, myself, 4 kids live in south 30 miles outside New Orleans. 3000sq/ft house, good schools, very safe, neighborhood enviroment, etc. We always have New Orleans to go to when we want some character and city life. We have a few family members here and have lived in the south our whole life.

The parent company of the company we work for has decided to divest. Meaning we will work for this newly formed midcap vs a Fortune 100 company. If we stay here we recieve 25K upfront between the both of us and our retirement is cut in half ,lose about 6k/yr , with minimal pay increases in the future 3%/yr max.

We have a chance to move to New Jersey and stay with the Fortune 100 company. This would be a company paid move. The company pays for a full relo, including closing costs, and up to 1 point origination, real estate agent fees on both ends. Also we would recieve a 40K cost of living adjustment this is a one time payment. My wife would recieve a 20% pay increase and I would recieve a 11% pay increase. The retirement would stay the same.

If we stay here, outside NO, our careers are pretty much flat lined with pay increases every year, but no real upside potential. If we move mine is lateral while my wife's entails more leadership and has more upside potential.

What would you do? The thought of living 30min from NYC, 2 hrs from the Poconos, 1hr from the beach, take a weekend drive to DC, sounds awesome, being tight financially doesn't!!

Our house note would double for much less house. We have talked to family and friends just wanted some outside looking in opinions.

Last edited:

SweetHotStang02

Never one to settle. ;)
Established Member
If you think you would be happy in the new place, it's definitely worth taking the chance. Just be sure you are both on the same page and want the same thing and I'm sure everything will work out. Change can definitely be a great thing. Even if your house is smaller and it's a big move, it's totally worth it for all the pros on the moving side, as long as it's not going to make things ultra tight financially. You can make a few cuts and still be very happy! It sounds really good though and could be a once in a lifetime chance. I think it's worth it, I would go for it if everything was right and my sig. other agreed. What do you have to lose? ;)

musclefan21

Established Member
I would definetely Move! just me! you can always get used to new places. Think with your brain and keep your heart out of this. if your heart get involves then you will make the wrong desicion. Be smart and see what works best for you. I could careless if i am from xxxx town. if i get paid more with better life here, then i am from here!!!

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Don't just think about the pay, think about your kids and how it could effect them. Ask them what they think about it. Explain to them that they will have to deal with the effects of starting in a new school and making new friends, if they aren't old enough to know.

I would also find out what area you will be moving to and do some research on it. Like what's around there to do. Crime, school systems, etc. I might seem like a good decision in the beginning then you might end up regretting it in the end after its done and over. Not saying it isn't a good thing, just take time to make your decision.

Last edited:

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
What part of Jersey? There are plenty of GREAT places to live in Jersey. There is so much to do here and the possibility to increase your finacial status here is huge! BIG draw back in Jersey though is realstate. If you are moving to central Jersey try moving to Plainsboro, Cranbury, Princeton or East Windsor, these are great places to raise a family and not worry too much about crime.

ff500

Established Member
Don't just think about the pay, think about your kids and how it could effect them. Ask them what they think about it. Explain to them that they will have to deal with the effects of starting in a new school and making new friends, if they aren't old enough to know.

I would also find out what area you will be moving to and do some research on it. Like what's around there to do. Crime, school systems, etc. I might seem like a good decision in the beginning then you might end up regretting it in the end after its done and over. Not saying it isn't a good thing, just take time to make your decision.

good advice

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Where in NJ would you be moving to and where in LA are you from. I am from NJ and know people within roughly the same distance from New Orelans.

Being close to NYC is great, but it is very costly. A 2 bedroom, 1 bath home that needs some work in my area is about 400k last time I checked. My friend is currently trying to sell his townhome for around the same, and has 3 bedrooms and 1.5 or 2.5 baths (can't remember exactly how many), plus a 2 car garage. We are both roughly 5-10 miles outside of NYC.

Also, taxes are MUCH higher here. I don't remember how much my parents are paying per year, but I believe it's over 9k. Cost of living over all is higher, and I don't know if your salary increase can compensate for it. Will you be commuting into NYC? If so, how will you go in? Will your company reimburse you for the train, bus, or parking? These are big things that add up every month.

Lastly, what do your kids think about it? Trust me, it's a very different kind of living up here. I've lived in rural areas for short periods of time, and I simply cannot get used to it, so I don't know if you go from a rural area to a densely populated area if it's the same. I cannot stand 2 radio stations, stuff not coming out on their advertised release date, etc. Keep that in mind. As for school, I doubt anyone will make fun of them for having a funny accent or anything, unless they're in kindergarten or something.

P.S.- Car meets in the summertime are HUGE. This should not be a deciding factor, but people spend a lot of time/money on cars here.

Edit: When my mom gets back, I'll ask her about main cultural differences too, since she lived in Shreveport and later on in Houston for a few years before moving back up to here.

Last edited:

jasil

Established Member
What part of Jersey? There are plenty of GREAT places to live in Jersey. There is so much to do here and the possibility to increase your finacial status here is huge! BIG draw back in Jersey though is realstate. If you are moving to central Jersey try moving to Plainsboro, Cranbury, Princeton or East Windsor, these are great places to raise a family and not worry too much about crime.

I've been reading a ton on city-data.com trying to learn more and more about the area. I love the architecture in Jersey city, but we won't be going there. I've looked in Spotswood, Red bank, a area in Rahway, Edison, and many more.

My wife is flying there and staying Wed-Frid. to see the site.

My wife is a Occ. Health RN and I do I&E controls, no southern accents here, my children are young 5,7,8.....and the 15yr old who isn't very fired up about the deal. The move would definately take a bite out of our discretionary income and our home wouldn't be nearly as nice, but we'll see. We would not be commuting into NYC.

The weather I'm unsure about. I don't like the idea of driving in the snow, but I can't stand La summers either. I don't know if I would like 5 months of winter vs 5 months of summer though.

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Snow is no big deal once you get used to it. Also, so far this winter it's snowed 5 times, and it mostly melts off. Summers here on their hottest day will hit about 100, but usually it hovers between 85-90 on sunny days, and less than 75-80 on rainy days in summer. Right now it's about 35 out (feels like 40 according to accuweather), and it does not get that much colder. Also remember, it's not 5 months of summer here, but middle to end of spring and fall hover right in the beautiful weather territory (65-75 during the day, cool at night). It doesn't get nearly as bad as Louisiana in the summer. Trust me, it's not like we switch to snow immediately either. Winter weather has been from December to probably mid-March this year, which works out to about 3.5 months, but we've had days in there that have hit 50.

that_guy

Gun Nut
Established Member
This state sucks. I can't wait to move to FL. Even my gf that has never been excited about FL, started looking for jobs down there.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would not move ... your moving DOWN the quality of life ladder not up. I have lived on the east coast for 30 years midwest for 10 and lived as a kid in the west. Mothers folks are all from the LA, AL area so I have a feel for what thats like also.

There is SO much more involved here than money. and all of the pluses outside of money are where you are at now. take what they are offering to stay .. and look for something else in the area that gives you advancement opportunities.

that_guy

Gun Nut
Established Member
I would not move ... your moving DOWN the quality of life ladder not up. I have lived on the east coast for 30 years midwest for 10 and lived as a kid in the west. Mothers folks are all from the LA, AL area so I have a feel for what thats like also.

I disagree there. There is a ton to do in this area & the pay is good

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
if your over 40 stay, under 40 move, my parents have moved for my dads company 5 times since i was 11(10 years ago) now that hehs almost 50 hes done with it and just wants to settle with decent pay but could make more moving again.

jasil

Established Member
We're both 33, thanks for the input so far, it's good to here some unbiased opinions instead of the "You can't go, NJ for what" responses we get from family/friends we do feel loved though.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
With the pay increase and the price change in the cost of living, what will you be gaining from the move? You are already at a place that you know and like. I wouldn't move unless EVERYONE wants to do it. Have you guys always wanted to try living in a different state? I think what's most important will be the kids opinions on it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

you can disagree all you want, but what do you bring up .. pay .. and money isn't everything. given what is available to do in N.O. and what there is to do in NJ and up to and including NYC I will take N.O. thank you very much.

and it is not like I don't have experience in NJ and NYC. I used to go up there and party fairly often with friends and family. Yes there is a lot to do but most of it (not all mind you) is overpriced for what you get. so a visit would satisfy the craving for the NJ lifestyle.

Not to mention the weather pretty much sux except for the summertime.

and I did NOT say there was nothing to do up in that area. I am guess you are in your 20s since, when discussing quality of life, you focus on money and "things to do". both are important but take a back seat (IMHO) when you have a wife and three kids and three times the size of house in an area you already like.

and beside what do you know .... you're "that guy" ... :pepper:

that_guy

Gun Nut
Established Member
you can disagree all you want, but what do you bring up .. pay .. and money isn't everything. given what is available to do in N.O. and what there is to do in NJ and up to and including NYC I will take N.O. thank you very much.
Then move there.

and it is not like I don't have experience in NJ and NYC. I used to go up there and party fairly often with friends and family. Yes there is a lot to do but most of it (not all mind you) is overpriced for what you get. so a visit would satisfy the craving for the NJ lifestyle.
Everything is overpriced everywhere.

Not to mention the weather pretty much sux except for the summertime.
Pretty mild winter so far.

and I did NOT say there was nothing to do up in that area. I am guess you are in your 20s since, when discussing quality of life, you focus on money and "things to do". both are important but take a back seat (IMHO) when you have a wife and three kids and three times the size of house in an area you already like.
WHat about things for those kids to do & places to take them? Get a clue & don't assume anything about anyone.

Common

Established Member

That makes no sense, money is good but everything is much more expensive than anywhere else.

60k salary here gets you, at this time, nothing, you will strugle to afford a home, god forbid you try yourself, 60k in Kansas for ex(or even Pa) will give you a lot more. It all evens itself out, plus you don't have to live in the most crowded state in the country. State where everyone's middle name should be "di*kbag".

Users who are viewing this thread