wouldja swap?

boostm3

Established Member
Ok...here's the setup. Youve got a '99 M3 with 45000 miles. Since 7000 miles, youve been Vortech Supercharged, courtesy of Dinan Engineering. Since about 30K miles, youve had a suspension upgrade with adjustable Koni shocks mated with Dinan matched springs. And since 35000 miles, youve been running a bigger pulley and water/alcohol injection courtesy of Active Autowerkes in Miami. Car dynos 350 rhwp, and with our 18% drivetrain loss, that equates to 420 crank hp. Torque as you know is not huge in these inline 6s, but it dynoed at 290 rw ft lbs, equates to 350 ft lbs at the crank.

Your car is perfect. Hanldles like only M3s can, and now has the power to run with almost anybody on the road. (there are exceptions, of course :p ) . But now, you find yourself dreaming of '03 Cobras. Some would consider it a huge step down. Others would consider it a huge step in the right direction.

As for me, I havent even seen one up close and personal. I have 2 dealers within about 40 minutes, but neither have any cpes on the floor, although they say theyre supposed to get a few in a few days, and im on the list to call when they come in. I will try and wrangle a test drive. But even if I cant, I bet some seat time, and starting up the engine will tell me alot. But my problem is I cant stop fantasizing. Im hooked on this forum already, and have brought myself up to speed on the major upgrades.

Oh, what to do what to do what to do.... Am I nuts? What has possessed me?? I think someone must have put an SVT curse on me, because I cant shake it, like a bad cold.

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
If you want a car that you can mod to over 500RWHP for a couple of K and power is your thing then Cobra it is. Ford aint built like BMW but with some work this car is way fast and with some suspension work handles darn good.

There is nothing like a V8 with exhaust mods to get you going. I could have bought BMW (M3/M5) or Porsche, this car is more fun except for if I could afford a new Porsche Turbo then I could forget the Cobra.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Don't want to start any flame wars or anything, but the 03 Cobra grips better than a stock M3 (Or M5, or M Coupe, for that matter) at .9 G. Handling, however, is pretty subjective, and has more to do with stability than grip. Just my 2 cents

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
Don't want to start any flame wars or anything, but the 03 Cobra grips better than a stock M3 (Or M5, or M Coupe, for that matter) at .9 G. Handling, however, is pretty subjective, and has more to do with stability than grip. Just my 2 cents

I agree that it is subjective in that the Ford just does not feel as taught as a BMW or Porsche and I have owned all three. I will admit though that the Cobra is very predictable when pushing it around.

Last edited:

boostm3

Established Member
>>I could have bought BMW (M3/M5) or Porsche, this car is more fun except for if I could afford a new Porsche Turbo then I could forget the Cobra.<<

Does that mean, for less than 115 grand, the '03 Cobra is your number one pick among all cars? wow..thats quite an endorsement.

>> agree that it is subjective in that the Ford just does not feel as taught as a BMW <<

Yet I hear its very tight, with very little body roll. So where would you say the M3 outhandles it?

Rwick7

Established Member
I would rather have a new M3 than a Cobra...if price was not an issue. But of course it is.

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by StlBlack03
I would rather have a new M3 than a Cobra...if price was not an issue. But of course it is.

But he's not talking about a new M3. He's looking to replace a 99 M3 with 35K miles.

boostm3

Established Member
>>He's looking to replace a 99 M3 with 35K miles.<<

Almost. Actually, its a '99 M3 with 45Kmiles. But its not your grandfathers M3 either. Its a Dinan badged M3. Which means it has a Vortech blower making 11 psi boost, putting out 420 crank hp, Dinan Koni shocks and springs, 300 watt rms Kenwood Stereo with JL Audio Stealth Boxes, Short Shift Kit, Dinan Exhaust and Intake, Fikse 8.5X17" Forged rims, AA Aquamist Water/Alcohol injection, EGT and Boost pillar mounted gauges, and loads of other goodies. Not a nick on it, perfect condition. Thats what Im thinking of trading for a Cobra. Now, am I any more crazy?

Last edited:

mike99

Established Member
What do you mean by trading? If you sell the M3 for a good - fair price and get a new 03 at MSRP then you're not crazy... Don't know what your M3 is really worth...

boostm3

Established Member
>> Don't know what your M3 is really worth<<

Yea, thats a tough one, mike. Unmodified, in a private sale, its worth 34 grand privately, and about 29 grand in a trade. Ive got over 20 grand in upgrades in it. I realize that this limits the sale market considerably, and people debate this all day long. But the truth is, if you find a buyer who wants to equip his M3 essentially the way mine is, and would have to spend over 20 grand to do it, if he can buy into mine for a few thou over book for the msrp model, its a huge savings for him. And for a buyer like this, its worth 35-36 grand. Thats only 1 to 2 grand over privte party book. Id imagine the upgrades would be worth nothing to a dealer though. However I think if I could get 30 grand from a dealer , or 35 grand privately, Id sell and buy the Cobra asap :--)

Blades

Established Member
Get rid of that M3.. I made the decision between a M3 and a Cobra a long time ago. Who needs navigation in a sports car?

The people that call it a step down are not the kind of people that I would want to call my friends.

boostm3

Established Member
Did you guys pay MSRP? Im not likely to travel to Detroit or something like that to make the purchase, so maybe I'll hve to wait til early next year when MSRP will probably be alot easier to find. BTW, when you guys get srvc, if you go to your selling dealer, do they give loaner cars these days, or is that just a Bimmer or Euro car kind of thing?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by boostm3
BTW, when you guys get srvc, if you go to your selling dealer, do they give loaner cars these days, or is that just a Bimmer or Euro car kind of thing?

yes, SVT owners get free loaners....

Blades

Established Member
They give service cars... and they do a full clean if you want them to. And i payed msrp in New Hampshire..

boostm3

Established Member
>>They give service cars... and they do a full clean if you want them to. And i payed msrp in New Hampshire<<

So you live in Mass, and had to go to NH to get msrp? Was it near by or far off NH? Will you get your car srvcd there, or locally, and if you use the non selling dealer, do you guys still get loaners? Its next to impossible to get bmw loaners from anyone but your selling dealer.

Blades

Established Member
I got under sticker and know the owner. I went out of my way to give him my business plus get a little knocked off MSRP.. And it wasn't far off! :D Dont listen to the riceboys that say you can only get a cobra for 50k!!

SnkEyes

Mystical SVT Poster
Established Member
Boostm3,

If you want raw hp go with the Mustang. If you want refined driving with a lot of creature comforts stay with the German stuff. I own a 928 Porsche and I don't think that I will ever be able to part with it. On the other hand, I am a Blue Oval Mustang Enthusiast. I have already owned 2 mustangs and awaiting my 3rd (03 of course). Why not keep both! Good luck and remember to "Always go with your gut".

Established Member
This is a really tough one. If the m3 was stock, I would say go with the cobra. However, you have put a lot of work into the m3. The 99's dont look as good as a new cobra, however anyone who appreciates car design knows what a timeless classic the e36 design is. The e36 m3's were the best handling cars of the 90's, and would take a new cobra around a track, FOR SURE. These cars are still regarded as some of the best handling cars ever produced, and at track events it is always either a porsche 911 or a e36 bmw dominating. RAW power is in the cobras corner. Why did you not get an active autowerke turbo instead of the dinan supercharger? With the AA turbo low 12's are easy to attain.... This is a tough one, I would stick with the m3 because of all the work put in.

boostm3

Established Member
>>Why did you not get an active autowerke turbo instead of the dinan supercharger? With the AA turbo low 12's are easy to attain<<

Mainly because I had 3 Dinan bmw dealers within 45 minutes, and to do AA right, you really need to send your car to Miami. Then, what about after srvc. It was just too much of a hassle for me. The Dinan kit can be improved though, not as fast as an AA kit, but still pretty fast with the larger crank pulley and 11 psi boost. Its all good. This sure is a great time to be a car enthusiast. The next few years should supplant the Muscle car era as the greatest HP wars in history. Just pray that an Iraq war or something else doesnt inflict another gas crisis on us, and squelch all the fun, like it did 30 yrs ago!

Users who are viewing this thread