Wow! Tight clutch Fixed!

cobra101

Established Member
Well, Let me first say My clutch has been TIGHT since day one (about 7 miles). I also saw on this board that is was common on early 03's especially. I thought it may loosen up but now at 10,000 miles it has not. I also have occasional chatter and squel from the TOB.

I was going to bring it into ford to have them check the TOB and such (I saw all the threads about it here). I also heard when they fix the TOB/Retainer (possibly change the tranny), that the clutch is much looser after.

Well, The other day I saw a yellow 03 at a gas station and decided to pull in to hear the exhaust on it. He had his cats (all 4) cut out and he put 2 small motorcycle cats in their place. He also had a stock cat-back with 2 chamber flowmasters welded in. It sounded great.

After getting to talking I asked if I could push his clutch pedal to compare (his car also is 1 year old with about 10,000 miles). I did so and it was awesome. His pedal was so much easier to push in than mine. He went into my car and pushed in the pedal to see what I was dealing with. Before I knew it he was under the dash and looking at the pedal. Within 30 seconds (maybe less) he popped out from under the dash and said "Try it now". Well, I did, and mannn did it make a difference. It was like a different clutch pedal. It is now easier to push the pedal (perhaps 50-60% easier). Very noticeable immediately.

I asked him what he did to it. He said there is a "barrell" or something like that underneath the pedal and he had to push the barrel and then adjust the pedal? or something like that. I do NOT have a quadrant or firewall adjuster (my car is stock). Well, it WORKED great. It has been like 3 days since the adjustment and It is still much softer than it was. I also have NOT heard a squel from the TOB since. It used to squel a couple of times a week. It would only last a few minutes than the squel would go away.

I am sure a couple of you maybe know in more detail what exactly he did. If not I will email him and get a more detailed description of what he did.

I also told him about this site (he only knew about svtoa). He said he would check it out.

So if you are here yet, Thank You, Thank You, Thank you!!!!

Ps. His yellow 03 looked and souned AWESOME!!

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Look up "Clutch" + "Adjusting the Clutch" in your owners manual (the Mustang book, not the SVT Cobra supplement). It has an auto-adjuster, you just have to know how to auto-adjust from reading that section.

Mike

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
auto adjuster is something different than what he is talking about...

thanks for the info...I just called my dad and told him to look under his dash by the clutch pedal and see whats up with this barrel or something...his clutch has been real hard since day one...my 03 Cobra's was alot easier from day one. Maybe he will find what you are talking about

Harry

Modular Fords Mach 1 Forum Moderator

Last edited:

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
The only "barrel" I saw was for the clutch pedal to quadrant connection. Unless he moved a spring on the quadrant, I don't know what he did.

My girlfriends 7 year old daughter can push in the Spec Stage III on my SVO, but after a minute of pressing on mine, my foot goes numb from the pressure. It's ridiculous at the amount of pedal pressure the Cobra has.

Man, I hope he posts on here what he did.

cobra101

Established Member
I will email him now..

I will email him and find out more details. Perhaps he can post his description of what to do. If not I will post his reply and hopefully you guys can do this too.

To think I almost gave the car to a dealer to fix this :)

Still no TOB squel since the adjustment.

I read some things here about adjusting the clutch by putting it in gear (car off) and pulling the pedal up, then pushing it in and letting it pop up. I don't think this helped and who knows if it hurt.

(emailing him now) . . . .. . .

. . .. . .

Last edited:

03snakerush

Established Member
cobra101- Where are you:beer: ?? I was intrigued by the clutch fix so let us know what your friend did and how to apply it, thanks!

JMD0346

Established Member
Me too. My buddys 03 takes 1/2 the effort to push than mine or his first 03. He totaled the first one. He bought the not quite new(4000 miles) next one from the svt mechanic from one of our local dealers. The mechanic says its stock but he adjusted it. I adjusted mine too but its still not close to his.

Maybe there is another adjustment that svt doesnt tell the public about.

After I adjusted the slack out of mine the clunk is a good bit worse. Has anybody else noticed this. It shifts alot better though. I think ford left the clutch out of adjustment so there would be tension on it and would maybe help hide the clunk. With constant tension on the TOB it should quell some of the clunk at the expense of premature wear on he bearing and retainer. There are several people with these problems. Maybe... Maybe not.

cobra101

Established Member
still no word...

I don't have a description of what he did yet. Hopefully I will hear from him Tuesday.

Also, My TOB DID Squel again since the adjustment. It happened saturday night and the squel was light and only lasted about 3-5 minutes then it went away. Obviously if I put slight pressure on the clutch the squel stops too. BUt it generally goes away completely within a few miinutes.

The pedal is still about 50 easier to push so it is still a VERY successful fix. I look back and can't believe I dealt with that tight ass clutch for so long (9,000 miles).

Well, I should have answers real soon. I was hoping the guy who fixed my clutch that night would visit the site and join in. Anyways, shouldn't be long I will find out.

Ps. I haven't been posting this weekend because my internet at home is down and I only have the system here at work.

trey193

Established Member
Just buy the UPR 3 hook Quad. and Firewall Adj. it makes a night and day difference in pedal effort, and the way the car shifts, I paid 65 for them both shipped, best 65 dollars spent on the car to date!!

cobra101

Established Member
got some info....

OK. I will post what he wrote me back. Please use the info wisely or if necessary take your car to the dealer. I would just hate to have someone use the info wrong and mess something up. ok here it goes in his words.

"now...the clutch is a cable clutch.....and in the owners manual it say to automatically adjust the clutch you put your foot under the clutch pedal....and pull it back.....then push it back in....thats it.

but theres never enough tention in the cable to work good at all........

now to get the killer tention on the clutch ....look at a pic of a aftermarket chutch quadlant kit so you know what to look for.....

slide the seat back .....get you head under the dash with a flashlight and look above the GAS pedal.......now...pull back and forth the clutch and look for a white plastic half a gear engaging and disengaging for a larger white plastic gear.
now while you PULLING the clutch pedal back set your thumb and push up on the LARGE gear....and while keeping presure on the gear...push the clutch cable back in.you do need a fair amount of presure when pushing the big gear....but do give it to much....otherwise the clutch will allways be a bit disengaged....and will burn it up in no time....

also take care after the adjustment is done and dont get your foot under the clutch while driving or itl go back to the normal butter.....but this will work on every mustang from 1986 on....."

Well, this is what he said he did. I would be cautious trying it yourself. When he says "Pulling" and :pushing" the pedal I was confused. Does pulling the pedal mean depressing it? Or does he mean pulling the pedal up higher than it normally sits (disenaged)? I will ask him but this is the info so far.

I will email him back and post more soon. let me know what ya think.

Ps. My clutch is still easier than it was but the TOB squel and chatter have not disappeared totally. They both still show their ugly heads regularly but not all the time. I hear others egtting the trannny swap and having the squel come back. what do you guys think about it? should I bring it in to get the TOB fixed/ tranny swapped?

JMD0346

Established Member
Thats basically the same thing I did. Its easier to get under the steering wheel, push down on the clutch pedal a little, hold the white tab that hangs off the big ratchet gear in the same place, then pull up on the clutch pedal. The tab im talking about is beside the go pedal.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Yea, all he's doing is manually making the quadrant adjust further than it normally would. People have been doing that for years. But as he said, it's easy for it to go back to normal if you aren't careful.

The stock quadrant is crap.

Juiced-03

Established Member
can someone take a pic of the gear that I am suppossed to adjust? I am a bit confused after looking underneath my steering wheel. My clutch is very stiff and I would like to losen it up a little. Thanks!

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
here you go.

quad_01_circled.jpeg

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
Great! Now where exactly is the gear that needs to be turned? Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread