Wow!! What kinda of shifter does the 05 have??

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
Check out this Steeda shifter for the 05:

Tri-Ax

That's an interesting peice there. What are those things hanging off the front and rear of it? Is this how they got the shifter closer to the driver?

What it almost looks like is the shifter does not actually attach to the tranny any more but rather attaches to the chasses and maybe a cable to the tranny?? Anyone know anything about this setup?

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
So to get the shifter closer to the driver, did they actually extend the tranny itself? Why in the current Mustangs couldn't they do the same thing? If there's one thing I hate about my Cobra, it's the shifter placement. Never seen ANY other car have such a lousy placement.

But back to the 05, then if all they did was extend the tranny, why does the tranny look so complicated?

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
From my knowledge the 3650 design is no different then 01-04 design. The vehicle body has been extended not the tranny.

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
Originally posted by stang99svt
From my knowledge the 3650 design is no different then 01-04 design. The vehicle body has been extended not the tranny.

I know the body has been extended, but how does that explain why the shifter is 6" closer now? If the 3650 design is the same as the current design, I don't see how they accomplished this without decoupling the shifter from the tranny and having a cable operation. If you look at the Steeda design, it sure looks like the shifter does not actually bolt up to the top of the tranny like it does in the 03.

JKCOBRA98

Established Member
This is kind of like what they have done to the shifter for the 05

Mind you this is for the FFR roadster to place the shifter in a better driver position but it is relatively the same idea.

DYNOTIME.BIZ.jpg

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
Wow, thanks for the picture. That's a very interesting setup! But I wonder how stable that design is? I could see going back and forth would work pretty good, but side to side? Seems like that long coupling bar in the middle would snap. Man, I'd like to put something like that in my Cobra. Where can I find that thing at?

Users who are viewing this thread