Wrecked 93 Cobra pricing?

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
A parted out cobra can be very valuable to someone that is willing to pay for OEM parts. I personally prefer OEM pieces over remanufactured or reproduction pieces and I am willing to pay a premium if I need the part. For instance, a reproduction Cobra booster made in china can be picked up at a parts store for around 80-100 whereas an NOS Ford piece is priced at PPI for $300. This is a very similar scenario for the MC as well. Likewise with the wheels. Sure they have reproductions but I personally will not have anything less than the original wheels on my car. So for me, and people who feel as I do, the reproduction wheels do not even factor into the potential resale and/or value of OEM 93 wheels. Case in point is this auction where the reproductions could have been had for a lot less but the price was obviously determined by bidders who required only OEM parts:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bran...014QQitemZ330160853521QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If all someone cares about is getting the car back up and running then a quick trip to the parts store can likely make that happen. For me, my Cobra is my "original" car and I am willing to wait and pay for OEM parts when I need/want parts.

I agree with most of the content in this thread but wanted to emphasize that the value of OEM parts can be maximized when sold to a person who has the desire for only OEM parts. There are certainly those people out there when it comes to the 93 Cobra.

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
..........EDIT.....2771 pretty much covered my thoughts....

The vin and the fact that Ford actually numbered these cars is what dictates the price of them over a GT.

It's the SUM of the parts and the VIN that make a Cobra worth that much more than a GT.

As I mentioned, there are few of the parts that are indeed going to pull more money than a standard 5.0 parts.

As far as the tranny goes, anyone that is in the know about Ford trannies won't pay a premium for a cobra tranny when they can step up to a T5Z. And, the changes made on the Cobra tranny were in fact rolled into late production 5.0 trannies as well.

Wheels will certainly pull more than 5.0 wheels, they did go down after the repros came out, but they are still pretty pricey.

I'll pull out my stock cobra shifter and see what color it is. Course then I'll have to find a stock 5.0 shifter. This is the first I've heard about any difference in a shifter - are you sure that it wasn't a change across the board on 93 model shifters? I'll wager it is, because I am 100% sure the shifter is the same as standard 5.0 cars. No mention of it EVER on any of the forums I've visited (been on forums for a LONG time) not even on the old SCOA board. No mention on it in any of the Ford literature I have either. Or on the window stickers. Or any magazine articles I have.

I agree with most of the content in this thread but wanted to emphasize that the value of OEM parts can be maximized when sold to a person who has the desire for only OEM parts. There are certainly those people out there when it comes to the 93 Cobra.
True that, throw pricing out the window when someone wants the OEM part for a reason. And that will indeed begin happening even more as time goes on.

So for me, and people who feel as I do, the reproduction wheels do not even factor into the potential resale and/or value of OEM 93 wheels. Case in point is this auction where the reproductions could have been had for a lot less but the price was obviously determined by bidders who required only OEM parts:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand...spagenameZWDVW
Those are NIB wheels - they will always command $$ for someone since they will most likely be going on a restoration or show car. A better example would be a set of used wheels that have seen the road - they go from 600-800 for a decent set, compared to 1000+ for a decent set before the repros. The repros had a big effect on the price of used rims, since the repros are actually made to fit standard 5.0 backspacing, which is where the bulk of the OEM 93 Cobra rims had been going - to 5.0 owners wanting that look.

For instance, a reproduction Cobra booster made in china can be picked up at a parts store for around 80-100 whereas an NOS Ford piece is priced at PPI for $300.
Very possible chance both are made in China. The latest version of the 93 Cobra intakes are now made in China. :eek: Just because it is an OEM Ford part doesn't mean it isn't made in China. Granted, Ford has tighter reigns on quality typically. PPI stuff often times isn't NOS, he gets original molds and has them manufactured, IIRC. I seem to recall a big blowup about it a few years ago in this very forum. Man, I wish I had some of my old bookmarks I lost over a year ago.

stangbear427

Established Member
It's been my experience that an original Cobra intake is more desirable than the FRPP one currently being sold which is almost identical, and a Cobra with one of these new ones in place of the original will have buyers scoping it out to see what else is "wrong", making the car worth less. Not that it has much bearing on this conversation. Nobody is going to get rich parting out a '93 Cobra. However, the parts are worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and many people are willing to pay what is logically stupid for an original part. On the other hand, we have the regular 5.0 intake that can be had for $25 on ebay, and it won't likely ever be worth more than that.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I was thinking the same thing on the shifter, and you may be correct about the steering wheel, but I dont think I have ever seen a non-cruise wheel that was leather? That wasnt on a 93 cobra. Start looking now and let me know as soon as find one and can prove it wasnt from a cobra, I think we will be too old to drive when you do.

I bought a 91 LX 5.0/AT Convertible from the original lady owner. It has 56k miles on it..... the car was loaded with all options except cruise control, so it has a Leather Wrapped Non-Cruise Steering wheel.

YES non-cruise leather wrapped steering wheels can be found on non-cobras and Yes they were available before 1993!

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
note , I said "you may be correct about the steering wheel, but I dont think I have ever seen a non-cruise wheel that was leather" I dont remember ever seeing one , Daryl you have seen a lot of mustangs, How many have you seen that werent on cobras?

asperformance

Banned
The perportioning valve on the 93 Cobra are 93 specific, I have a 94 V6 car I am parting and they are Different, It is a NON ABS car also. Can send pivs if you need them

asperformance

Banned
SSP cars had no Cruse leather rapped wheels, all 5.0 cars cruse or no had leather wheels, was part of the V-8 car package

Users who are viewing this thread