Wrench check engine light/rough idle

Softballer77

Established Member
Twice in the past week, at startup i noticed that little wrench light come on accompanied by a rough idle and rough acceleration. Immediately pulled over on both occasions, turned car off, restarted, and not only was the wrench CEL gone but it rev'd perfectly normal.

??? Insight ???

paluka21

Established Member
yep, it should be in ROM. also you could try data logging/keeping the tuner plugged and hope to grab the incident when it occurs.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Twice in the past week, at startup i noticed that little wrench light come on accompanied by a rough idle and rough acceleration. Immediately pulled over on both occasions, turned car off, restarted, and not only was the wrench CEL gone but it rev'd perfectly normal.

??? Insight ???

What was the last thing you touched under the hood? Any work on it?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Any tune changes?
Xcal 3 or 4?
Any updates to it?
What TB?
Usually its the TB that causes the wrench, but I had the same and it was the Xcal 3 that wasn't uploading the tune to the car.
I switched to an X4 and problems solved. I've heard the X3s just aren't as good for the 11+ cars.
-J

Softballer77

Established Member
Any tune changes?
Xcal 3 or 4?
Any updates to it?
What TB?
Usually its the TB that causes the wrench, but I had the same and it was the Xcal 3 that wasn't uploading the tune to the car.
I switched to an X4 and problems solved. I've heard the X3s just aren't as good for the 11+ cars.
-J

No tune changes. Xcal 3. TB is FRPP Mono. Never had it pop up before.

Softballer77

Established Member
I plugged in my SCT and don't see how I can pull up any historical codes. Went through every option. Had it check for codes anyways and there were none...

Live Faster

Need for SPEED!!!
Established Member
When I was getting the wrench symbol I had the same issues as you pulling up a code. Finally I would just leave my SCT plugged in and keep cycling the key and checking for codes till I got it. Mine came up as P0100 finally.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Mass air circuit.
Mine gave that too. It would all be gone with stopping and restarting, sometimes took 2-3 cycles but eventually the wrench went away and it was normal driving, no codes.
-J

Softballer77

Established Member
Mass air circuit.
Mine gave that too. It would all be gone with stopping and restarting, sometimes took 2-3 cycles but eventually the wrench went away and it was normal driving, no codes.
-J

Strange so many have had that pop up. I've never had it before. This week twice. Strange...

On a side(ish) note though, I noticed 2 months back that my JLT intake has molded quite the hump in the edge from where I guess I had the clamp too tight around it where it attaches to the rubber boot on the TB. Im sure it got hot and gave way a bit from the tension. I'm sure it plays a little bit of a part as far as airflow efficiency. I need to get it sorted...but it wouldn't have anything to do with that code would it?...

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine only did it after this recent issue with my frozen X3. It was modded all last summer and never did it.
Maybe you should inspect that CAI and TB connections.
I was reading on clutches, some mention a 'crank reset'. But that's been a few thousand miles for you, I don't have many guesses.
-J

Softballer77

Established Member
Mine only did it after this recent issue with my frozen X3. It was modded all last summer and never did it.
Maybe you should inspect that CAI and TB connections.
I was reading on clutches, some mention a 'crank reset'. But that's been a few thousand miles for you, I don't have many guesses.
-J

Yeah the clutch thing is another issue, and frankly the bigger by far. I didn't do a crank reset. I'm really at a loss with it. I'm in Michigan due to a family death. Shop that installed it is in Cali. Been in Kentucky on business but shipped out my car to there from Cali. Ace is in Missouri...just all a big pain in the ass. I can limp it around, but it's gotta get taken care of soon. Probably going to limp it to Ace to have it all looked at in case something needs replacing (warranty covered or not) i'm right there. Imagine finally being in a place where I can cruise Woodward Ave but in a car with no clutch hold. It's been tough.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry to hear about the troubles.
One good thing is that if you're in MI, D&D performance and Walsh Motorsports (same guys) are one of the best around with Tremec and clutches, they can also R&R there too.
If you're still in MI, I'd be calling them ASAP.
Good luck.
-J

Turbosnake95

Established Member
I am still having this issue occasionally. My thread is here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-Volume-II&p=14851255&highlight=#post14851255

Things I have done to try and fix:

- Clean MAF sensor
- Clean Filter
- New plugs
- New WBo2 sensors
- Switched back to stock TB and electronics
- checked all connections and pins in regards to TB, MAF, plugs, wires
- checked all clamp seals on the intake tube

Yet I am still having the issue :bash:

Just yesterday it happened twice back to back, the car went into limp mode and it didn't even light up the wrench light (first time it didn't light up)... most of the events always light up the wrench light. SO FRUSTRATED!

Anyways the current fix is just to turn off the car, restart and hope it drives normal.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you guys both using the X3?
I had these frustrations and Lund sent the same tune but loaded on an X4 and now my problems are solved.
No explanation and I did start with issues after an attempted tune change, but still I'd consider this as a potential solution.
-J

Turbosnake95

Established Member
Are you guys both using the X3?
I had these frustrations and Lund sent the same tune but loaded on an X4 and now my problems are solved.
No explanation and I did start with issues after an attempted tune change, but still I'd consider this as a potential solution.
-J

X3 here.

Has Lund or anyone else said anything publicly that the X3 could have compatibility issues with the 13-14 cars?

I would hate to buy a new X4, upload the tune and the problem still exists.

Users who are viewing this thread