Written exam format?

Squeeler92

Ok, so I know that the PD you're looking to get hired from sends you a brief overview of how the exam will be like, as I have gotten recently. However, I'm curious to know if that's the ONLY questions that will be on the test. On the packet, it says, "These will be the three types of questions you will encounter" or something along those lines. There's no "may" or "some" mixed in there, it seems like conclusive, "these are the only questions that will appear" kinda statement. However, what worries me is that 1 of them was completely having to deal with personality, and the other was completely a "Agree of Disagree" section. Only 1/3 parts was a reading comprehension type question. What should I expect? I just don't want to be surprised when I go in this Saturday. =\

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
I just got done taking the written and physical exam two weeks ago here in Texas, and ours was an hour long test consisting of 3 sections with a total of 60 questions. The sections were math, reading comprehension, and grammar. Hope that helps.

Squeeler92

Did they send you anything in the mail regarding the testing format? Every department will be different. 2/3 types of questions they gave as examples seemed to test personality more than any actual intellectual skills. Kinda hard to believe that they'd do that, especially since there is usually a psych analysis, polygraph and oral boards after the written test ...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Those are the three "styles" of questions you will encounter. The format may differ slightly, but that will be it in general.

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
My department just went to a video based testing format. Most of the county departments in VA are now doing that. When we were written based though....They gave out a packet. Only about 25 questions out of the 90 were in the study guide.

G/L

Squeeler92

FordSVTFan said:
Those are the three "styles" of questions you will encounter. The format may differ slightly, but that will be it in general.

Yea, that's exactly what I meant. They talked about, "These will be the kinds of questions you will see" or something along those lines. Looks like they're really going after personalities this year ... kinda good and bad. No way to blame yourself for doing poorly, but real no way to study for it either ... oh well, wish me luck ... or hope that the department thinks I'm a suitable person, lol

Users who are viewing this thread