ws6 vs srt-4

no slow 88

Established Member
This past friday a friend of mine and me went to the local spot to do some racing in his ws6. Once there we found our selfs racing a srt4 yellow with black stipes. (I had heard he went 12.80's) So Jeff said let's do it from 2o in 1st. Once on the interstate I pulled out the video camera to tape the scalding. ( by the way we found out that the srt had hella mods with what I was told to be a 150 shot!!!!) Anyways we take off with the srt hanging beside us untill the shift to 2nd. Once in 2nd, Jeff hits the juice and to our amazement the srt is still right there untill third were we pulled just a little. Now in 4th we are still pulling hard with the srt still there!! (WTF?) 5th comes and the srt pulls back beside us untill we had to let off because of traffic. Man were we suprised!!!!! We also raced a blue Suckra ( oh I mean supra ) and waxed him from a slow roll with srt in the 3rd lane. not sure what is done to the supra. Jeff's car has ran in the mid 11 zone at over 120.

donpablo

Established Member
Wow, very impressive for the SRT-4. Man if you could get 1 with the picnic table spoiler delete option, this would be a very tempting little toy. Throw in the factory produced mod kits on that little bugger.....

DP

bad360rt

slo truk
Established Member
Those lil suckers are getting fast, and all on the stock block too, pretty cool.

DonPablo, I've seen a couple with the picnic table taken off and replaced by the normal neon spoiler (just a flat regular spoiler), looks pretty sharp. Apparently it's a direct swap.

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
Originally posted by steeda1982
those things are a joke, have to spend to much money to hop them up.

:rolleyes:

And what do you know about it? Have you owned one? modded it? Do you know someone that does and has modded it? Please tell us how you know about the cost of "hopping" it up.

Last edited:

SRT4YOAZZ

Established Member
Originally posted by steeda1982
those things are a joke, have to spend to much money to hop them up.

Your kidding right? $350 for a Stage 1 and your running 13 flat. $1200 Stage 2 is in the 12's! Stock= 13.9 at over 100mph.

Or you can just skip all that and run 11's with nitrous.

Besides, whatever you have to spend for mods will be made back with mpg...:p

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Well it appears these srt's are pretty good from a roll, I've only seen new stockers on the street and strip though. At the strip their biggest disadvantage is launch can't steer very well with front tires spinning, so I'm sure the awd's and rwd's will say run you from a stop. :beer: I saw srt's 14.9's sat night but the track was very bad, awd's won in the imports.

gnxs

Established Member
Originally posted by SRT4YOAZZ
Your kidding right? $350 for a Stage 1 and your running 13 flat. $1200 Stage 2 is in the 12's! Stock= 13.9 at over 100mph.

I'd say your estimates are a bit optomistic. Perhaps the fastest cars run that, but not your average SRT. Two weeks ago at the track -

1) Stock SRTs (several) - 14.4-15.1
2) Stage 1 bolt on car - 13.5 - 13.7
3) Stage 2 cars (two of them) - 13.1-13.5

The stage cars were on DRs. Some of these cars had most of the interior removed.

I'm sure Stage 1 cars are capable of 13 flat and I've seen Stage two cars in the 12's (12.5-12.7), but in the "real" world they're alot less common. Like 12 second stock LS1s and stock 03-04 Cobras going 12.6s and trapping 114 mph.

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member

Your times are a bit generous. Show me a stage 1 running 13 flat. Show me a stage 2 in the 12's. And show me one that can handle enough nitrous to put the stock engine in the 11's.

I'm sure there are a few but your times are definately not the average. The SRT would need at least a 150 shot and serious traction to run in the 11's. Given that engine pre turbo has always had head gasket problems I don't see these little 2.4's handling the 150 shot very long.

However I do really respect them.

BOTLFED98

Established Member
Originally posted by DonPablo94SVT
Wow, very impressive for the SRT-4. Man if you could get 1 with the picnic table spoiler delete option, this would be a very tempting little toy. Throw in the factory produced mod kits on that little bugger.....

DP

they don't really come w/picnic table spoilers....more like half moons or something.

SRT4YOAZZ

Established Member
I will agree the spoilers are a bit much! An SRT is only as good as the driver... and they are bitches to race at the track. If you figure the launch out and can drive, the car will deliver. No, not all SRT's are that fast (sucky drivers). But, what I love the most about my car is most people refuse to believe it can run as fast as their V8's or they figure it's just a Neon.. and it is. If you don't want to get embarrassed you better not underestimate your compitition.

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
sounds about right, but I really want to hear from an expert on the subject. Cmon Steeda, enlighten us all with all your vast srt-4 wisdom.

Last edited:

BOTLFED98

Established Member
I will agree the spoilers are a bit much! An SRT is only as good as the driver... and they are bitches to race at the track. If you figure the launch out and can drive, the car will deliver. No, not all SRT's are that fast (sucky drivers). But, what I love the most about my car is most people refuse to believe it can run as fast as their V8's or they figure it's just a Neon.. and it is. If you don't want to get embarrassed you better not underestimate your compitition.

haha, trust me COBRAs r the same! i've seen a ton of 450 horsepower '03s run 13s....high 13's at that, if u can't launch u ain't gonna do $hit!

Acidryno

Established Member
Originally posted by Rearpl8tsinsite
Your times are a bit generous. Show me a stage 1 running 13 flat. Show me a stage 2 in the 12's. And show me one that can handle enough nitrous to put the stock engine in the 11's.

I'm sure there are a few but your times are definately not the average. The SRT would need at least a 150 shot and serious traction to run in the 11's. Given that engine pre turbo has always had head gasket problems I don't see these little 2.4's handling the 150 shot very long.

However I do really respect them.

Yes, you're right in some respect. Those number are capabable but not common.

I can show you Jake Hottes, he has a Blue SRT-4 for running consistant 13.0s @ 107-108. He has:
MAP Clamp = $30
3" down pipe to a custom 3"piping. = ~$200
GReddy Profec Eletronic Boost controller. = ~$250 (eBay)
Wheels and BGF DRs. = ~ $350 (eBay)
Larger Front Mount Intercooler = $500 (group buy)

And that it's my friend.

There are many Stage 1s pulling 12.8s to high 14.5s. This system is like the gateway part. It allows the owner to tune with aftermarket parts and push more HP. But 300whp seems to be the limit on the stock fuel/turbo system.

There are several other Stage 2 SRT-4s running 12.6 to 13.1s.

There are crazies out there throwing 100 to 150 shots on there and not seeing - results yet. (I wouldn't do it)

Jake and I go to the track about every other week. Practice is the key, just with any other car. I went with the staged (safer A/F) system and he like to push the limits. We bounce info and runs to tune.

On another note, there a is (turbo kit) test car in So Cal that has netted consistant 11.0 - 11.2s with cams and a little bit larger turbo. All for less than $3K. I'm keeping an eye on them.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I'll have to say that the SRT sure looks impressive. I love my Cobra and prefer a V8 RWD any day, but I'd seriously look at a SRT-4 these days with the level of performance these things seem to be capable of and... with that price. If Motor Trend still had their old "Bang For The Buck" contest (wonder why they stopped it?), the SRT looks like it would take the prize.

StevesSRT

Established Member
Originally posted by Acidryno
On another note, there a is (turbo kit) test car in So Cal that has netted consistant 11.0 - 11.2s with cams and a little bit larger turbo. All for less than $3K. I'm keeping an eye on them.

If you are refering to Dave's car at DynoWorks, he has around $6800 invested and it netted him an 11.1@132mph. This was with a shitty 1.94 60ft.

His car now is receiving some piston upgrades and he hopes to really turn up the boost. His SRT is the fastest street SRT to post on SRTForums to date.

I order a lot of my parts from Dave and have talked to him numerous times.

As for a stage 1 SRT, I have a return fuel system and adjustable regulator. I have all the normal bolt ons and run 18psi at redline and will run mid to low 12's. Stock turbo, stock suspension, no juice.

I only have 1/8th mile up to date times of 7.9's at 88mph. So mid to low 12's are possible on stage 1.

I have $2000 invested including my slicks.

Steve B.

joegt38

Established Member
Originally posted by gnxs
I'd say your estimates are a bit optomistic. Perhaps the fastest cars run that, but not your average SRT. Two weeks ago at the track -

1) Stock SRTs (several) - 14.4-15.1
2) Stage 1 bolt on car - 13.5 - 13.7
3) Stage 2 cars (two of them) - 13.1-13.5

The stage cars were on DRs. Some of these cars had most of the interior removed.

I'm sure Stage 1 cars are capable of 13 flat and I've seen Stage two cars in the 12's (12.5-12.7), but in the "real" world they're alot less common. Like 12 second stock LS1s and stock 03-04 Cobras going 12.6s and trapping 114 mph.
I agree with gnxs 100%, I already ran a stage 2 SRT and beat him VERY bad. I was kinda dissapointed in it. Don't get me wrong their quick little cars for what they are and how much they are but they are no muscle.

Blown408 86GT

94GT 617 rwhp fun machine
Established Member
Originally posted by StevesSRT
If you are refering to Dave's car at DynoWorks, he has around $6800 invested and it netted him an 11.1@132mph. This was with a shitty 1.94 60ft.

His car now is receiving some piston upgrades and he hopes to really turn up the boost. His SRT is the fastest street SRT to post on SRTForums to date.

I order a lot of my parts from Dave and have talked to him numerous times.

As for a stage 1 SRT, I have a return fuel system and adjustable regulator. I have all the normal bolt ons and run 18psi at redline and will run mid to low 12's. Stock turbo, stock suspension, no juice.

I only have 1/8th mile up to date times of 7.9's at 88mph. So mid to low 12's are possible on stage 1.

I have $2000 invested including my slicks.

Steve B.

Pretty impressive....We have an SRT in our car club with the stage 2 setup and he is only able to run mid 13s at 104 and some change. I think it has to do with the driver though as his SRT is able to hang with another members LS1 6 speed vette from a punch...

Users who are viewing this thread