• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

WTB Built Long/Short block 2014 GT500

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by scottGT500, Jul 2, 2014.

1. scottGT500

scottGT500 Active Member Established Member

Hey guys!

Looking at available options for a built motor for my '14. Blew a head gasket which damaged a cylinder. I have received a quote from L&M (which is where my engine is) for a built 5.8 short block...looking at ALL options (even the good old Iron 5.4) with cost in mind. I don't want to skimp on quality but I prefer not to sell a kidney for a new 5.8 unless I have to.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  2. kevingib

kevingib New Member Established Member

GL

If it is only a single kidney let me know and my 11 will be 5.8 powered next. Nice to have 2 of something and be able to get by on one in the long run.

3. scottGT500

The 'ol saying "you gotta pay to play".....IS SO TRUE! Lol

4. BlueEyedSnake

BlueEyedSnake Banned

I'm going to go with MMR out of LA, California. They make some powerful engines and their prices are more than reasonable. For $3,500, you can get one of their 1,500 HP short blocks which most of us we'll never be able to destroy, barring a bad tune, etc....

5. scottGT500

Iron right? I have read mixed reviews on MMR...of course you can't believe most of it. What about fitment of my '14 heads on a non 13-14 block?

6. 5.8MysticCobra

5.8MysticCobra Banned

Going iron over the current aluminum is a kick in the balls . Sleeve the aluminum block or get a new one . I would go with JDM Engineering due to there R&D they are putting into there SCJ programs or Accufab if you did sell both of yours Kidneys lol. Everything is interchangeable from 07-14 5.4/5.8

7. scottGT500

I was told (if I remember correctly) that the 5.8 block can't be sleeved due to the coating...or something like that. L&M quoted $5100 for a new 5.8 block. Doesn't seem "too" bad...until all of the other forged components PLUS LABOR are added up. The quote is in the low 5-figure range. I was told that L&M is the best....but to what point cost-wise is my delimma now.

8. spitin venom

spitin venom ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Established Member

A lot of people on here run MMR engines without any problems. I am not sure if your mod list is right but how did your engine fail with just a 2.4 pulley?

9. BlueEyedSnake

BlueEyedSnake Banned

MMR can also do aluminum, I would always go with aluminum because of the weight savings. Of course it cost more, but it's all about what your HP goals are and what you want to do with the engine in the future. Give MMR, JDM, and any other company a to see what they can offer you.

10. scottGT500

No one...I mean no one understands how...but it was (per L&M) a blown head gasket that ended up frying the top of a cylinder...so much that the cylinder was just enough out of round that a new block was recommended...

11. 90goldtsiawd

90goldtsiawd here 4 da laffs & cruelty Established Member

Stay with L&M where your engine is at now. Never heard one bad thing from them, and have read many mixed reviews on everybody else including MMR. You're dealing with some of the best there are at L&M. For what you're talking about price wise for a fully built 5.8 is not bad at all considering a new stock long block from Ford is roughly $20k from last I heard.

12. NightRide

NightRide Roll Racer Established Member

So what are they talking build and install final cost 10k?

13. breoland

breoland Active Member Established Member

Just curious to know what mods you had done to blow a head gasket?
    Just the ones in your sig

14. BlueEyedSnake

BlueEyedSnake Banned

Did you take it to Ford? I'd put the stock tune back in the and pulley. Then I would have had the tow truck drop it off at Ford and have that engine replaced under warranty. No way a pulley does that to a none defective engine. From the sound of it, it would have happened eventually without the 2.4 pulley. Maybe you just wanted to get a built engine and this is a chance to get one sooner, but plenty of people have hit 800+ RWHP with that block and they are still going strong. Whatever company you end up going with, I'm sure you'll get a quality engine.

15. scottGT500

Ones in my sig only...

16. scottGT500

When you factor the diagnosis work and then add the new build...a little more lol.

17. scottGT500

My local Ford "contact" tried...he couldn't help. Unfortunately another 13-14 had been in recently and tried also...he got caught by ford....I got my car out before the whistle got blown...

18. breoland

It's crazy that those few mod blew a head gasket

19. scottGT500

yep!

20. breoland

What caused it to let go? Did you change timing, did you put less octane in it (bad gas?)
    I'm assuming it was those mods that caused the failure, any help from the shop that did the install