WTF Blew the clutch ..... AGAIN!!

97SVTStang

Established Member
Alright someone help me out. This is the 3rd clutch in 6 months that I have blown. Are all these aftermarket clutch POS's. I have tried 3 different companies. The only one that lasted was the stock Ford clutch. The last one I bought was rated for 700 fwhp. Last time I had the car on the dyno it put about 430 fwhp. So I fall way under the rating of the last clutch.

I have tried Ford Racing, Centerforce, and the last clutch was a Ram 900 series. About the only company I havent tried is Spec. I am thinking Spec Stage III for this one. But it has to last me for more than a month. Its not pulling that tranny thats an issue its easy to get that tranny out, plus I am a mechanic so I have a lift and all needed tools (makes it alot easier) Its a money issue I cant afford a new clutch ever 2 months.

Is it the fact I am using a stock flywheel still. The last one did warn me about not using a lightened flywheel, I guess I should of listened. So whats everyone using?

Last edited:

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
FWHP?>?> did you break in the clutches? or did you leave the mechanics peeling out ?>i replaceed my clutch over a year ago and its still goin strong...KING KOBRA clutch, resurfaced flywheel, 3 hook firewall adjustanble cable quad, new cbale...full setup

Last edited:

97SVTStang

Established Member
fwhp = fly wheel hp, and I am the mechanic (ASE certified and I work for Dodge) and yes I do break in the clutches. I think the nitrous is whats tearing them up. Unlike a supercharger where you get gradual power the nitrous i think is too harsh. The last clutch I put in held great, didnt slip at all. It just didnt last. I have never had a problem with slipping. When it goes it goes hard. Last one ripped the whole disc right of the rivets, cant wait to see what this one did.

Last edited:

94CobraPace

Established Member
Give Spec a call and tell them you set up along with car weight. They are very helpful and can get the right clutch that will last longer than 2 months.

97SVTStang

Established Member
I have resurfaced it twice now. I think its time for a new one. Kinda scared to resurface it again. I have to wait till I get it out of the car and take measurements to see if I can.

Dino S.

Established Member
there are tons of factors that can lead to premature clutch wear. Tons of people throw 150 shots and don't replace their clutches every 2 months. Make sure your tranny is working right, the flywheel is straight, and the clutch cable is adjusted properly. Something sounds aloof about the whole story to me...

97SVTStang

Established Member
I know tranny is good, I just rebuilt it cause I blew that up. I know the clutch cable is good. I am really leaning towards the flywheel. But if its the flywheel its nothing I can feel in the clutch pedal.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
spec spec spec. There are cars running around here with over 650ft/lbs of torque using spec 3 clutch. That's what everyone uses around here. THe specs are tried and true and seem to work.

Are you resurfacing the FW during each install? you might want to look at getting a new one. Either steel or aluminum.

Are you sure its the clutch or is it the TOB? If its the TOB, i'd check to make sure when you put the tranny back in that it is properly aligned. If its not precisely aligned (especailly if you have a scattershield) then it will wear that TOB out very quickly and could even damage the pilot bearing (so i'm told)

Stylin Cobra

Established Member
I blew up stock clutch in 1 month, a FRPP king cobra in 3 months, now I am working on a spec stage 2 and it seams to be holding up quite well.

btw i have a 97 cobra with a novi-1000 (intercooled)

Blacksunshine

Established Member
It's not the clutches you are choosing that are the problem, but rather the flywheel you have that has been resurfaced twice it's probably not mated well with the plate and could easily cause premature clutch wear with a couple good launches somewhere. Invest in a new flywheel next time and get a spec stage 2 for your setup. You don't need a stage 3.

97SVTStang

Established Member
Your right its not the clutchs. The clutch I have in there now is too good it grabed too hard and snapped the input shaft right off. Any way Iam sticking with my Ram 900 serires clutch for now it in perfect condition has about 3000 miles on it with numerous 5,000 rpm launchs with slicks and nitrous and it doesnt have one heat mark on it and neither does the flywheel. And yes I would need a Stage III. I tried a Ram 600 series clutch which is equal to a Spec Stage II and that one slipped to all hell. I have a Ram 900 series which is a puck style disc just like a stage III and this one is holding perfect. Plus I make more hp than I clamed I had, sorry I tend to do that.

Blacksunshine

Established Member
Awww ok, I figured you had just a basic setup with a 100 shot. :D. Well if you do have a couple more goodies, Then spec 3/Ram 900 all the way. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread