WTF!?! EXHAUST LEAK?!?!

Black03COBRA

Every 1000 miles or so, the ehaust leaks on the left side where the hpipe and the left header meat. its starting to become a big pain in the arse ! i think im just going to get the bassani x pipe and catback. im tired of this....what could be the prpblem! anyone want a prochamber ?!?

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Try using some Locktite on the threads. That should help.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
MAC is notorious for this... The problem is caused by the stock exhaust manifold stud... the factory stud has a standoff on it that prevents the flange from fully closing on the ball-socket joint.

FIX ::

Here is the Fix... Go to your local parts store and get a new set of exhaust manifold studs... the size is M10x1.5 they are about 2.5'' long.

Do not use loctite... It will only make removal and installtion harder in the future... And it will not stop the leak...

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Originally posted by 351MachOne
Do not use loctite... It will only make removal and installtion harder in the future... And it will not stop the leak...
It may not work on Mac, but it works on others. Plus, Loctite makes REMOVABLE compounds. It's not permanent.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Originally posted by Hunter
It may not work on Mac, but it works on others. Plus, Loctite makes REMOVABLE compounds. It's not permanent.

I know... I use loctite everyday... I build CNC machines. The loctite wont force a tighter seal, it only prevents the screw from backing out, which is not a real problem on exhaust studs. (torque)

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
And even though blue loctite is removeable, it still makes for a crummy removal...

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
And even though blue loctite is removeable, it still makes for a crummy removal...
I've only used the red loctite, it's removable. I have never had any problems removing it. I have also never had a bolt, or nut, ever back off when I used it.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
I know... I use loctite everyday... I build CNC machines. The loctite wont force a tighter seal, it only prevents the screw from backing out, which is not a real problem on exhaust studs. (torque)
I use it everyday too. Your right, it doesn't create a tighter seal, but if the bolt, or nut is properly torqued, and you use Loctite, it won't back off.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
10-4

Edit: Ps: i hope that you and I are not the only ones reading this post... I hope that Blackothree comes in and checks out the fix.

Last edited:

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
10-4

Edit: Ps: i hope that you and I are not the only ones reading this post... I hope that Blackothree comes in and checks out the fix.
Hopefully so. I do recall that Mac has had quality problems. Blackothree should replace the studs as you mentioned since it sounds like you have experienced this problem before.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Yeah, over on Stangnet.com this is a common problem... I had the problem on my 02... easy enough to fix though.

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
well when i got my VRS x pipe it had come with a slip in piece about 2-3" long, which slipped into the driver side of the x pipe, which solved the exhaust leak, sealing problem. when i switched to the MAC off road H pipe, it did not come with that piece, and that exhaust leak drove me crazy, you could really only hear it on deceleration, but i knew it was there, so what i did was call VRS and have them ship it to me, only $10, very easy fix. but you can also change out the studs, which i know others have done successfully.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I had the same problem with my 95 Cobra with pacesetter O/R H-pipe. It was a PIA to get the flanges to mate correctly with my JBA headers. I started using high-temperature RTV when ever I took them apart and stopped having problems. Some will come back and say it will just burn off on the exhaust, but I never had a problem with it burning off on the flanges. I have it on my 03 with QMP exhaust and have not had a leak at the flanges yet.

Users who are viewing this thread