WTF How tight are the spark plugs???

Grey03

Established Member
Ok, I was reading the spark plug debate and wanted to see if I had the cold range stock plugs. I have an early run car and had the head replaced for the tick. Well I went to pull one of the plugs to check on the driver side and couldn't even budge the plug. How "F"ing tight are the plugs supposed to be? I don't want to break a plug trying to get it out. I was going to add a 2.8 pulley this weekend, maybe I should wait.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I would try another one. They should not be that tight unless they are siezed or cross threaded. Was the engine hot or cold when you tried to remove them? Are these the stock plugs?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I always wait until the engine is cold before I change the plugs. Aluminum (the heads) expands much more than steel (the plugs) when heated so it would seem the plug holes would shrink when hot.

Grey03

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I decided to get a set of balls (after eating my wheaties) and put some muscle into it and they came right out. It was bone cold by the way, haven't driven it in a week.

BenD

Established Member
Out of curiosity

Grey03

Did you happen to notice the difference in the number of threads between the new head and the old head via the number of turns.

The new heads are supposed to have 9 threads vs the 4 threads in the original heads. This is a big problem that Ford failed to recognize or admit.

Some owners have actually blown plugs right out of the head, taking threads and coil packs with it. Mine keep losening up and have to be retightened every 3000 miles. I've been trying to get Ford to replace the heads for that reason, but that's like pissing in the wind. I'm going to get the one replaced for the tick and probably have to end up buying the other one.

I think 17 ft lbs is max for the torque, not sure of that figure. I just hand tighten mine then give them about 1/16 turn after seated.

Try using a piece of surgical tubing over the insulator it helps with the feel needed to make sure it's threading properly. I also had an extension welded to the socket dedicated specifically for the Cobra so if and when it fails to come off the plug you're not standing there scratching your head wondering how in the hell to get the socket out.

In the case of the one under the TB on the right bank I had a universal welded to another socket so I can at least reach it with needle nose pliers if it when the extension comes off.

And be carefull to not nick the rubber valve cover gasket in the process when inserting and removing the your plug tool.

The only thing real easy about this dam car is putting gas in it. But don't you just love it.

Hopes this helps a little bit.

Ben

Eatonup

Established Member
Get that pulley on! Your not going to believe the torque. :eek: If your not having Brian tune it on the dyno I highly recommend James at RWTD. His tune for me was dead on.

Users who are viewing this thread