WTF - Weird ABS problem????

Stitch

Established Member
Car's been acting 'weird' lately. Only after long drives (1/2 hour or more) that it does this. But when slowing down to maybe 10mph and making a sharp turn either forward or in reverse, the ABS kicks in. I was actually slowing down to make a turn in my apartment complex and had my foot on the brake, clutch in, tranny in 2nd, and as I turned the wheel, I could hear and feel the ABS kick in pretty strongly. As soon as I straightened out the wheel, it stopped.

Is this the ABS sensor(s) going out or something else?

I also have a weird clunking noise from the tranny around this same time too. I'm thinkin either the tranny or clutch is going out.

Car is being parked this weekend after I pick up a daily beater but I'm not lookin forward to trackin all this crap down.

Stitch

Established Member
Ok, so no one's had this problem? Can I disable the ABS somehow? Maybe pull the fuse? My concern would be if it were to have any impacts on other systems or the ecu.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Check the PS steering fluid level, and check all four ABS sensors voltage via a scan tool. Sounds like one sensor is reading a higher voltage than another and the ABS module is thinking the car is experiencing tire spin. You might also try cleaning off the exciter rings that the ABS sensors read from at each corner, the fronts especially can get covered in dirt/brake dust. I dont know if it would be enough to cause a problem but its a start. Hope you find the problem.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Every mustang I'ev owned has done this. The ABS system is sensitive...probably more so than it really needs to be. What happens is that during a sharp corner even at low speeds your outter wheels are rotating quite a bit faster than the inner tires. It freaks the system out knowing that you have brakes applied and wheel speeds are that different. So it engages the ABS.

It's something you have to learn to drive around. slow down all the way before you turn so you're not on the brakes...no problem.

The clunking in the transmission could be anything. It coudl be normal slack or a sign of a dieing tranny.

Unless the abs starts kicking in under normal braking conditions (or it doesn't kick in at all) I wouldn't worry about that quark in it's behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread