WTT: Magnaflow cat back for MAC catback..

88_mustang_GT

Established Member
I've got a Magnaflow stainless steel catback on my 03 Cobra and would really like to have a stainless steel MAC catback for it. If anyone is interested, let me know. My catback is in great shape with about 20k on it. Let me know.

Thanks,
Spenser

c4fly

I am the law
Established Member
Hey man just call Mac and get mufflers and bolt or weld them in. It will save you a lot of time and money. For a pair of MAC flowpath mufflers aluminized is around $120.00, stainless steel Im not sure about. I think that would be easier and cheaper than trading. Just my 2 cents. :-D

88_mustang_GT

Established Member
Hey man just call Mac and get mufflers and bolt or weld them in. It will save you a lot of time and money. For a pair of MAC flowpath mufflers aluminized is around $120.00, stainless steel Im not sure about. I think that would be easier and cheaper than trading. Just my 2 cents. :-D

I haven't completely ruled that out. And may end up going that route, actually. My one and only issue is that the flowpaths, at least what I remember, seemed a bit larger than the magnaflows. The only reason that concerns me is that the magnaflows already sit really close to the sub-fram rail. I'm worried that the flowpath may touch the body and cause a rattle. You're definitely right though....it would be easier, cheaper, and way more convenient.

c4fly

I am the law
Established Member
I haven't completely ruled that out. And may end up going that route, actually. My one and only issue is that the flowpaths, at least what I remember, seemed a bit larger than the magnaflows. The only reason that concerns me is that the magnaflows already sit really close to the sub-fram rail. I'm worried that the flowpath may touch the body and cause a rattle. You're definitely right though....it would be easier, cheaper, and way more convenient.

I have a friend that has the Magnaflow catback and is going to try to bolt in the Mac Flowpaths maybe this week, once he receives them. You are right that the magnaflows are close to the sub-frame rail, his is like that. Worse case we will just have one end cut down a tinny bit (what ever is needed for clearance) and the other end add some piping and then bolt them up. Before anything though, we will place them up and see how clearance is. Ill def. let you know how it turns out! :beer:

Last edited:

c4fly

I am the law
Established Member
Hey man, we did the Mac's last night. They are 1 inch shorter in the casing than the Magnaflows. (Macs are 13" Mags are 14"). The only thing was the outlet on the Macs are exact same size as the Magnaflow piping going back to the tip. We just had an exhaust shop open it a bit , cut 2, 3/4" slits in each end (inlet and outlet for clamping) of both mufflers and went on fine. The inlet of the Macs were just right and the piping that goes to the x-pipe went into the Macs no problem with out modification. We used 2.5" clamps, adjusted it all and bolted it all up. It actually clears the sub-frame rail better than the Magnaflows. Took us about 2 1/2 hours with all the adjusting of the tips and stuff.

The mufflers brand new only cost $120.00 (aluminized).

Of course all cars are different and this worked out good. There might be slightly more modifications on other cars.

Last edited:

88_mustang_GT

Established Member
You have no idea how much I appreciate the feedback on that. Sounds like I'll be going that route as opposed to trying to find a whole new cat back. Thanks again man, I really appreciate it!

c4fly

I am the law
Established Member
Yeah no problem! Im glad I could help. :thumbsup:

Be sure though to start it early on a day that you can take it to a muffler shop just in case you run into a fitment problem. Like I said, everyones car is different. Good luck bud!
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread